Last Updated on
Photos and recipe updated 5/11/18. Original writing remains.
When the word “fries” appears in one of my posts, you can be certain that I’ve been craving some comfort food. And today is no exception! The damp and dreary weather had me hankerin’ for a warm meal, but of course, in Veg World fashion, I couldn’t just settle for your typical crispy fries and ketchup…especially not with all the spring veggies I’ve yet to feature in a post!
As I went through my mental checklist of springtime vegetables, I immediately settled on asparagus. Could I make something that was warm, comforting, and nutritious with this beautiful stem? I was sure I could. And just like that, these Baked Asparagus Fries were born.
Update 5/11/18: When I first made these fries in 2015, I used a flour and breadcrumb batter. This works well, so I’ve included the original combination I used in the footnotes of the recipe below. I have also tried this recipe with an almond meal batter and it is delicious! This version is now the primary recipe below. I hope you enjoy these asparagus fries any way you try ’em :-).
If you are looking for other asparagus recipes, be sure to check out my:
Baked Asparagus Fries with Zesty Avocado Sauce
For the fries:
- 10-12 asparagus spears - washed and trimmed
- 1 egg - beaten
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
For the sauce:
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 lemon - juiced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Wash asparagus, pat dry, and trim off ends. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg. Pour onto a small plate with rims. Set up another small plate with the almond meal. Mix in the garlic salt with your fingers until it is spread throughout the almond meal.
- Dip each asparagus spear in the egg and then the almond meal/garlic salt. You may have to use your hands to sprinkle the almond meal mixture over areas that do not get coated.
- Transfer asparagus spears to the lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. You may want to flip the spears over halfway through.
- While the asparagus is cooking, prepare the sauce by combining the avocado, lemon juice, olive oil, water, and chili powder in a food processor or blender. Pulse into smooth, and season with salt to taste. Once the asparagus fries are ready, serve immediately with sauce and enjoy!
Pin now to make later!
Have a happy and healthy weekend!