Potato Garlic Scape Soup
A creamy and flavorful garlic scape soup recipe with simple ingredients. Vegetarian and gluten free.
Servings 4 people
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 cups garlic scapes roughly sliced; about 3 bunches or 20 scapes
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 4 cups white potatoes diced; about 8-10 mini potatoes or 1-2 russet potatoes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Fresh herbs for serving; dill or chives taste great
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the sliced garlic scapes and diced onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until the onion is tender.
Add the diced potatoes, salt, pepper, and vegetable stock. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Cover and turn down heat to a low boil/simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
Turn off heat and use an immersion blender to blend the soup. If you do not have an immersion blender, transfer the soup in batches (very carefully) to a regular blender and blend until smooth.
Stir in the sour cream or yogurt and mix until melted. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a generous portion of fresh herbs, such as dill or chives. Enjoy warm!
- Storage and reheating: This soup will last in the fridge for 3-4 days in an airtight container. Reheat in a small saucepan on the stove or in the microwave for 1-2 minutes on high.
- Nutrition: The sodium content of this soup will vary depending on the type of vegetable stock or broth you use (use a low sodium option for a lower sodium content).
- Using a stand blender: Transfer the soup in batches to the blender (do not fill all the way). You may want to remove the center of the blender top and cover with a towel to let steam escape.
Calories: 331kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 1132mg | Potassium: 821mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 590IU | Vitamin C: 45mg | Calcium: 211mg | Iron: 7mg