Unsweetened Applesauce with Veggies
A vibrant treat with beets and carrots! Recipe can be served cold or warm.
Servings 6 cups
Cost $10 total
- 6 to 8 apples I used a local variety, but Pink Lady or Honeycrisp would work well
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 medium beets peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup water
Prepare the apples by coring and roughly chopping them into quarters. I kept the skin on for some extra fiber, but you can choose to peel them if you want. Prepare the carrots by washing and peeling them, then slicing into 2- to 3-inch pieces. Wash and peel the beets, and chop them into rough quarters. For a sweeter taste, use 8 instead of 6 apples and 1 fewer beet.
Place a large pot on the stovetop over high heat and add the apples, carrots, and beets, along with the cinnamon and water. Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer, covered, for 30 to 35 minutes (turn the heat to low). You want the fruit and veggies to be tender when touched with a fork before blending.
Remove from heat, and use an immersion blender to blend the contents of the pot until smooth. You can also transfer the ingredients in batches to a regular blender and blend each batch for approximately ~1 minute until smooth.
Enjoy warm or cold with more cinnamon as desired!
- For a sweeter applesauce, use Fuij, Gala, or Honeycrisp apples.
- To make in a slow cooker, combine all of the ingredients and cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 6-8 hours. Use an immersion blender or transfer the mixture to a regular blender in batches to finish the recipe.
- If you use a regular blender, be very careful when blending the hot applesauce. I recommend only filling it halfway with ingredients, to avoid any hot splattering. You may also want to remove the lid and cover with a dish towel instead, to let steam escape.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days. You can also freeze this for 2-3 months.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 116kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 39mg | Potassium: 349mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 3504IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg