Herbed Carrot and Swede Mash
This vibrant side dish is rich in flavor and so easy to make.
Servings 4 as a side
- 8 medium carrots or 6 large
- 1 medium swede aka rutabaga
- 4 tbsp butter 1/2 stick
- 1 tbsp fresh herbs I recommend rosemary, thyme, and sage
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Sea salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
Scrub and trim the vegetables. I like to peel them for this recipe (it helps make the mash creamier) but you can leave the skin on if desired. Slice the carrots and dice the swede/rutabaga into cubes.
Place the veggies in a pot and add just enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil, cover, and let them cook for ~10 minutes or until tender. While the veggies are cooking, melt the butter in a small skillet and add the herbs and lemon juice. Remove from heat.
Drain the water and transfer the carrots and swede to a high-powered blender. Add the herbed butter and blend until smooth, ~1 minute. You may need to stop the blender and push the mash down the sides a few times. Add a dash of liquid (water, broth, or milk) to promote blending if needed. Alternatively, you can use a potato masher to mash the veggies in their pot.
Serve warm with another pat of butter, salt, pepper, and more herbs as desired. Enjoy!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 3 months (thaw in the fridge). Reheat in the microwave or in a small saucepan over low heat on the stove.
- You can add or substitute different herbs depending on your taste preference.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 197mg | Potassium: 703mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 20815IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 1mg