Ancho Chile Black Bean Sweet Potato Tacos
A vegetarian twist on stewed tacos, this recipe is easy to make and full of flavor.
Servings 8 tacos
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet potato cubed
- 3 scallions sliced halfway up the stalk
- Dash of salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano or dried cilantro
- 1.5 tsp ancho chile powder can sub regular chili powder
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup water
- Hot sauce to taste
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 8 corn tortillas warmed
- Cotija cheese for serving
Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add diced scallions, salt, and pepper. Cook until softened - about 3 minutes.
Add oregano or cilantro, cumin, and ancho chile powder together. Immediately add sweet potato and stir until potato pieces are coated in spices. Fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
Stir in beans, water, and a few dashes of hot sauce. Bring to a boil, cover the pot, reduce heat, and simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. While this is cooking, warm the tortillas for 30-60 seconds on each side in a pan over high heat.
Take the lid off the pot and cook for 5 more minutes to allow extra condensation to escape. Stir in lime juice and serve in tortillas.
- Serve with cotija cheese, salsa, sour cream, and/or a squirt of lime.
- This can also be served over cooked rice. To do this, skip the last 5 minutes of cooking with the lid off. This will keep the liquid in the pot, which will help to provide flavor to the rice.
Serving: 1taco | Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 240mg | Potassium: 334mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 4164IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 2mg