Roasted Eggplant Red Pepper Dip
Blistered eggplants and peppers are blended into a creamy, savory, and slightly spicy dip that makes a great vegan snack.
- 1 large eggplant halved lengthwise, stem removed
- 2 red bell peppers halved lengthwise, seeds and stem removed
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 1 tbsp for roasting
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Brush each side of the eggplant and peppers with olive oil, and place them cut side down on the baking sheet. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes, until the skins are blistered. Remove from oven.
Flip the eggplant over and scoop the flesh (seeds included) into a food processor or blender and discard the skin. Run the red peppers under cold water and use your fingers to remove the skin, then add them to the food processor. Add the red wine vinegar, minced garlic, and salt. Pulse to combine the ingredients, then start adding the olive oil ~1 tbsp at a time. Pulse and continue to add the olive oil in batches until the dip is smooth and at your desired consistency, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. You may find that you need less olive oil than listed, depending on your taste preferences. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Transfer the dip to a serving bowl, and serve with seed crackers, toasted baguette slices, or warm pita, along with parmesan, mozzarella, or ricotta cheese if desired. Enjoy!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 to 10 days. The dip will thicken up over time.
- There is no need to remove the skin of the eggplant before roasting. You also do not need to remove the seeds. They can be added to the food processor with the flesh. However, if the seeds are large and brown when you slice open the raw eggplant before roasting, you can remove them.
Serving: 0.25cup | Calories: 86kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 148mg | Potassium: 198mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 945IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 1mg