Chicken Fajita Bowl
Learn how to make a healthy homemade burrito bowl with fajita veggies, cilantro lime rice, seasoned chicken, and toppings.
For the rest of the ingredients
- 1 batch fajita veggies
- 1 15 oz can sweet corn drained
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained
- 2 cups cooked brown rice cooked according to package instructions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
Start by slicing the chicken and whisking together the olive oil, lime juice, garlic powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, and salt in a medium bowl. Toss the chicken in the marinade, cover, and put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or for as long as it takes to prepare the other ingredients.
Cook the fajita veggies according to their recipe instructions, and prepare the rice according to package instructions. While the veggies and rice are cooking, drain the corn and beans, and whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, and cilantro. When the rice is finished cooking, stir in the cilantro lime mixture and season with salt. Set the seasoned rice, veggies, corn, and beans aside.
Take the chicken out of the fridge. In a large skillet (the same one you used for the veggies), add a drizzle of olive oil and heat over medium high heat. Add the chicken strips (discard any leftover marinade juice) and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
Put together a bowl with a fourth of the veggies, chicken, rice, beans, corn, and sour cream. If you aren't eating right away, store the ingredients in separate containers in the fridge to arrange the bowls at a later time. They should last for up to 5 days. You can eat the bowls warm or cold.
- Use minute rice or the Trader Joe's frozen microwaveable rice packets to save time.
- To make these vegetarian instead, omit the chicken.
- You can sub long grain white rice or other varieties for the brown rice.
- Other topping ideas include pickled red onions, guacamole, shredded cheese, or salsa.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 736kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 102mg | Sodium: 956mg | Potassium: 1248mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 3587IU | Vitamin C: 128mg | Calcium: 121mg | Iron: 5mg