Lentil Risotto with Collard Greens
This cozy vegetarian main dish combines protein-packed lentils and collard greens with arborio rice for some extra nutrition and staying power.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup French green lentils can sub regular green lentils
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups collard greens stems removed and thinly sliced into ribbons
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Bring the vegetable broth to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Keep it simmering while you prepare the rest of the recipe, and make sure it doesn't come to a boil.
In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced shallot and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until tender. Stir in the garlic, arborio rice, and lentils. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes until the edges of the rice start to become translucent. Pour in the dry white wine and stir constantly until it's absorbed.
Using a large soup ladle or a 1/2 cup measuring cup, pour some of the hot broth into the pot. Stir constantly until it's absorbed. Repeat this step until all of the broth has been used, the rice is tender, and the lentils are cooked but not mushy (about 40 to 45 minutes). You will notice that the rice will be tender before the lentils are. This is how it should be, and it's OK to keep adding broth so that the lentils cook. You may need slightly more or less broth than listed. Sometimes I heat up two quarts of broth (8 cups) just to have extra if I need it to keep cooking the lentils.
Once the risotto is ready, stir in the chopped collard greens and parmesan cheese. Cook for a few minutes until the greens are wilted and fully incorporated into the risotto. Remove from heat, serve, and enjoy!
- Remember to constantly stir the risotto during the cooking process. Do not leave it unattended for more than 60-90 seconds.
- If you don't have collards, you can sub any other leafy green.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days. Reheat in a bowl in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes on high until warmed through.
Serving: 1.5cups | Calories: 350kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 697mg | Potassium: 383mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2666IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 241mg | Iron: 3mg