Stewed Cabbage, Apples, and White Beans
This vegetarian braised cabbage recipe is tender, buttery, and full of flavor. Have it on the table in under 30 minutes!
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small head cabbage or 1/2 large head, shredded
- 2 apples cored and diced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt more as needed
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the cabbage, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until it cooks down and is slightly tender. Stir as needed to help the cooking process.
Add the apples, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until softened. Stir in the apple cider vinegar, water, and salt. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the cabbage is buttery and the apples are tender.
Remove the cover, stir in the white beans, and cook for a few more minutes until warmed through. Serve warm!
- You can use any type of cabbage for this recipe: savoy, red, napa, or green.
- The skillet will be exceptionally full when you add the cabbage, but it does cook down.
- Leftovers will last for 4 to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge. Serve cold or reheated in the microwave.
- Serves 2 as a main dish and 4 as a side.
Serving: 2cups | Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 563mg | Potassium: 494mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 449IU | Vitamin C: 87mg | Calcium: 160mg | Iron: 3mg