Lemon Dill Kohlrabi Fritters
Make this easy vegetarian kohlrabi fritters recipe for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Servings 8 fritters
- 2 heaping cups grated kohlrabi
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour can sub all-purpose or oat flour; may need up to 1/2 cup
- 2 tsp dried dill or 2 tbsp fresh
- 1 tsp dried minced garlic sub 2 garlic cloves or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- Olive oil for cooking; can sub canola or avocado oil
Remove the skin from the kohlrabi with a paring knife. Grate the kohlrabi using a hand grater, box grater, or julienne peeler. Transfer to a clean dish towel and squeeze as much water as possible out of it over the sink.
Add the drained, grated kohlrabi to a mixing bowl with the diced onion, flour, dill, garlic, lemon zest, and salt. Pour in the lightly beaten eggs, and mix until the batter comes together. You may want to start with just one egg to see if that is sufficient to bring the batter together. If the batter appears too wet, add one or two more tablespoons of flour.
Take a scoop of batter from the bowl and form a fritter with your hands. They should be about 1/2-inch thick and 2 inches wide. Place the fritters on a plate, and warm a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet.
Cook the fritters in batches for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Enjoy warm with a dollop of sour cream, yogurt, and/or applesauce, or just plain!
- Use about three heaping cups of veggies total. You may need to adjust the amount of onion you add based on how much kohlrabi you get after grating it.
- Leftovers will last for up to five days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- To keep the fritters you already made warm while you cook the other ones, place them on a baking sheet and keep in an oven preheated to 250 degrees F (or use the "warm" setting if you have one).
Serving: 1fritter | Calories: 52kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 242mg | Potassium: 193mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 86IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg