Root Vegetable Hash with Eggs
This vegetarian breakfast recipe features beets, potatoes, rutabaga, and celeriac (celery root) diced into small cubes and cooked in a single skillet. It's topped with eggs, fresh herbs, and grated parmesan cheese.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 small potato diced
- 1 celeriac peeled and diced
- 1 rutabaga peeled and diced
- 1 beet peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp fresh herbs thyme, sage, rosemary or a mix
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 eggs more as needed; can fit up to six
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onion, potato, celeriac, rutabaga, and beets. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the veggies start to soften.
Pour 1/4 cup water into the skillet, cover, and let the veggies steam for 3 minutes. If the veggies are still firm, let them steam for another couple minutes. Remove the lid, and cook off any excess water.
Season the veggies with salt, pepper, and fresh herbs. Use a spoon to move around the veggies and make four wells for the eggs. Crack an egg into each well, cover, and let them cook to your liking.
Remove from heat, and serve with the parmesan cheese.
- Be sure to cut the veggies into small cubes. The smaller, the better.
- You can substitute any root veggies you have on hand in this recipe. Aim to have about 6 cups of chopped veggies total.
- This dish is best enjoyed right away, but you can store the cooked vegetables in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days. Reheat them with a little oil in a skillet before cracking fresh eggs on top.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 606kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 338mg | Sodium: 704mg | Potassium: 2216mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 743IU | Vitamin C: 98mg | Calcium: 434mg | Iron: 6mg