Deconstructed Spring Roll in a Bowl
These healthy bowls take less 30 minutes to put together and feature ingredients typically found in spring rolls, including rice noodles, veggies, and herbs.
For the bowls
- 5 ounces rice vermicelli can sub thin rice noodles
- 2 carrots julienned
- 1 cucumber peeled and julienned
- 5 radishes thinly sliced
- 2 cups cooked edamame
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup lime juice from about 2 limes
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce sub tamari to make gluten-free
- 3 tbsp honey sub maple syrup to make vegan
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp sriracha use up to 1 tbsp for a spicier sauce
Prepare the rice vermicelli or thin rice noodles according to package instructions. They may take anywhere from 3 to 7 minutes to cook. Drain the noodles, and rinse well under cold running water to prevent sticking. Set aside. If you need to cook the edamame, do so at this time.
Prepare the vegetables for the bowls. Use a julienne peeler or sharp knife to cut the carrots and cucumber into matchsticks, and slice the radishes into thin circles. Chop the herbs.
In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the lime juice, soy sauce, honey, garlic, and sriracha. Taste, and adjust seasonings as desired.
Divide the noodles, edamame, peanuts, veggies, and herbs between four bowls. Drizzle with the dressing, and mix together. Enjoy!
- Possible additions: shredded chicken, shrimp, tofu, scallions, bell pepper, cabbage, bean sprouts, chili or jalapeno peppers
- Double the sauce recipe for more flavor, but keep in mind that soy sauce is high in sodium.
- The ingredients and dressing can be prepped ahead of time and stored in separate containers in the fridge for 5 to 7 days. Wait to assemble until just before eating. Or, you can mix everything together with the dressing in one large bowl or container. This won't last as long as the separate ingredients and it might get a little soggy, but I found that it lasted for about 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 531kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 909mg | Potassium: 897mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 5425IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 117mg | Iron: 4mg