Halloumi Sandwiches with Veggies and Pesto
Grilled halloumi is topped with vegetables and pesto then nestled between toasted ciabatta. This vegetarian main dish is a great addition to summer barbecues.
Servings 6 sandwiches
- 2 8 ounce blocks halloumi cheese
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread or 6 ciabatta rolls
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup pesto about 2 tbsp per sandwich, more to taste
- 1.5 cups baby arugula
- 1 tomato sliced into 6 pieces
- 3/4 cup roasted red peppers about 2 tbsp per sandwich, more to taste
First, gather your toppings and make sure you have them prepared. I like to make pesto and roasted red peppers in advance to save time, but you can also use store-bought versions of these ingredients.
Preheat the grill to medium-high. Slice the blocks of halloumi into 6 pieces, about 1/2-inch thick. Brush them with a little olive oil on each side.
Slice the loaf of ciabatta into 6 pieces, then cut those in half to make 2 slices out of each piece to hold the sandwiches. Brush the inside of each piece with a little olive oil.
Place the halloumi on grill mats or directly on the grill. Cook for a few minutes on each side until lightly charred.
While the halloumi is cooking, toast the bread on the grill. Place the pieces, oiled side down, on the grill for about a minute until lightly charred.
Remove the halloumi and bread from the grill. Assemble the sandwiches with the pesto and toppings. Enjoy!
- Leftover sandwiches will keep in the fridge for a couple of days. Wrap them tightly with plastic wrap before storing.
- If you don't have a grill, you can also pan fry the halloumi. Cook it in a little olive oil in a skillet over medium heat for a few minutes on each side.
- Serve with a side salad, grilled vegetable, or chilled soup.
Serving: 1sandwich | Calories: 342kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 903mg | Potassium: 93mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1005IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 1mg