One Pot Tomato Pumpkin Pasta
A delicious and nutritious weeknight meal that can be made with pantry staples, canned tomato sauce, and pumpkin puree.
Servings 6 people
- 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta can sub brown rice pasta to make this gluten free
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 1/8 tsp sea salt use more if you get a low sodium or no salt added tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15.5 oz can white beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups spinach loosely packed
Bring approximately 6 cups water to a boil in a large pot. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions, approximately 7 to 9 minutes. Carefully remove pot from heat and drain pasta through a colander. Leave the pasta there until you return it to the pot later.
Return pot to stove and decrease heat to medium-high. Add the olive oil, onion, garlic, salt, oregano, and cinnamon. Stir well and cook for 5 minutes or until onions are tender.
Add the honey, pumpkin puree, and tomato sauce to the pot. Stir and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Add the cooked pasta, white beans, and spinach to the pot. Use a large spoon to coat everything with the sauce, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
Serve with a dusting of parmesan cheese if desired and enjoy!
- This recipe makes 4-6 servings and tastes great reheated for lunch the next day. However, if you do not want to make that many servings, make only the amount of pasta you would like, and take some of the sauce out of the pot to freeze or store in the fridge before you mix everything together. Also, if you like a higher sauce to pasta ratio, you may want to make less pasta.
- Leftovers can be stored in airtight containers in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 412kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 493mg | Potassium: 798mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 14001IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 4mg