Roasted Pumpkin Salad with Apple Cider Dressing
A simple vegetarian salad with diced pumpkin, pumpkin seeds, goat cheese, and a tangy dressing.
Servings 6 people
- 1 pie pumpkin ~3 cups peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds from the pumpkin, roasted
- 4 cups mixed baby greens can use baby spinach, kale, chard, or arugula
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup goat cheese crumbled
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Slice the top off the pumpkin and cut in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and orange, stringy flesh with your hands or a spoon. Transfer to a colander. Peel each pumpkin half with a knife or swivel peeler, slice into strips and then into cubes. Transfer to the lined baking sheet and toss with 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Put in the oven and let cook for 20-25 minutes, or until fork-tender.
Prepare the pumpkin seeds by running them under cold water in the colander. Use your hands to remove the stringy flesh. Transfer to a paper towel and pat dry, then spread out on another baking sheet in an even layer. Toss with the last tbsp of olive oil. Put the baking sheet on the top rack of the oven and let the seeds roast for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown and crunchy.
Remove the pumpkin and seeds from the oven when they are finished cooking. Add them to a large mixing bowl, along with the baby greens, dried cranberries, and goat cheese. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, syrup, and dijon. Pour over the salad and toss. Enjoy!
- Wait to dress the salad until right before you serve it if you are making it in advance.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days.
- You can keep the skin on the pumpkin to increase the fiber content if desired.
- To make vegan, take out the goat cheese.
- Sub butternut, acorn, or delicata squash if you don't have pumpkin. You can also use feta instead of goat cheese.
- Top with add shredded chicken, salmon, hard boiled eggs, or beans for added protein.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 353kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 159mg | Potassium: 870mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 19990IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 109mg | Iron: 3mg