Red, White & Blue Beet Slaw
A colorful slaw with roasted beets, fresh blueberries, and shredded coconut. Great for the 4th of July and summer cookouts.
Servings 6 cups
- 2 beets roasted then grated, about 3 cups worth
- 1 pint blueberries rinsed
- 1 cup shredded coconut unsweetened
If you are not using pre-roasted beets, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Scrub and trim each beet then rub a bit of olive oil over them. Wrap each beet in foil and place directly on oven rack. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until they are tender. Open up the foil, slice the beets in half, and let cool. You can put them in the fridge or freezer to accelerate cooling.
Once the beets have cooled, use a hand grater to shred them into a large bowl. Add the blueberries and shredded coconut. Your hands will get messy!
In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing except the lemon. Drizzle the dressing over the slaw and mix until well coated. Add the juice of 1 lemon, mix again, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until cool.
When you are ready to serve the slaw, remove from fridge and add a bit more coconut to the top.
- To cut back on the time for this recipe, consider purchasing pre-cooked beets such as Love Beets or another brand.
- This slaw tastes best when you make it a few hours in advance. Store in the fridge in an airtight container, and stir well before serving.
- Leftovers can last in the fridge for a few days, but the berries and coconut can get a little soggy over time.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 63mg | Potassium: 225mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 52IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1mg