Raw Rutabaga Salad with Apples
A crunchy raw salad with earthy flavors and a sweet honey vinaigrette!
Servings 4 cups
- 1 rutabaga trimmed and peeled
- 2 small apples or 1 large apple
- 1 cup finely chopped kale
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 5 pitted dates sliced; more to taste
Prepare the rutabaga and apples by slicing them into matchsticks with a knife or by using a julienne peeler. You can also grate the rutabaga and apples with a hand or box grater. I prefer to peel the rutabaga but keep the peels on the apples. Combine the slices with the finely chopped kale in a large bowl. Add the walnuts and dates.
In a separate bowl, combine the ingredients for the dressing and whisk until smooth. Pour over the salad ingredients and toss until coated.
Enjoy chilled for about 20 minutes or at room temperature!
- This dish is best served right away or chilled for a short time period (~20 minutes), since the apple can start to brown after a while.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Feel free to substitute other dried fruit for the dates, such as dried apricots, or other nuts for the walnuts, like pecans or pistachios.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 350kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 49mg | Potassium: 608mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 1730IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 1mg