Rutabaga Fries with Zesty Cashew Dipping Sauce
A vegan snack made with crispy roasted rutabaga, coupled with a creamy cashew and spinach dipping sauce.
For the dipping sauce:
- 1 cup cashews soaked for 2-3 hours or quick-soaked for 15 minutes (see notes)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp lemon zest from about 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 cup spinach loosely packed
- 1/2 cup water more to taste
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Prepare the rutabaga by slicing off the ends, peeling it, and then slicing it into 1/4-1/2" slices. Stack the slices on top of each other and slice into fries. Transfer the fries to the lined baking sheet, drizzle with oil, and season with sea salt.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the fries are tender and begin to brown.
While the fries are baking, make the cashew cream by combining the soaked cashews, garlic, lemon juice and zest, spinach, and water in a high-powered blender or food processor. Blend for 60 to 90 seconds until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
Serve the fries warm with the cashew dipping sauce. Enjoy!
- Soak the cashews in a bowl with enough water to cover them at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours. Alternatively, you can boil water, let it cool for a few minutes, and soak the cashews in this for 15 minutes to soften them.
- Leftover dipping sauce tastes great on pasta, salmon, grain bowls, and more. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 514kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 48mg | Potassium: 1173mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 1407IU | Vitamin C: 83mg | Calcium: 141mg | Iron: 6mg