Vegan Mushroom Risotto
This easy vegan risotto recipe is made with white wine, fresh thyme, and meaty mushrooms.
Servings 4 people, as a side
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 16 ounces baby bella mushrooms sliced; can sub any mushroom variety
- 2 shallots finely chopped; about 1 cup
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine like Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 cup arborio rice
- Sea salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
Bring vegetable stock to a simmer over medium-low heat in a saucepan. Keep it as is while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the pot and transfer to a clean plate.
Heat the other 3 tbsp of olive oil in the saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic, and cook until tender (about 4-5 minutes). Add the rice and stir constantly for about 4 minutes, until the edges of the rice become slightly translucent. Pour in the wine, add the thyme, and continue to stir until almost all of the wine appears to be absorbed by the rice.
Use a soup ladle or a 1/2 measuring cup to pour in some of the hot vegetable stock. Stir constantly until the rice has absorbed the stock. Repeat this step multiple times, while constantly stirring, until all of the stock has been added and absorbed. It should take about 20-25 minutes. Taste the rice at this point to make sure it's tender. If not, add some more broth if you have it on hand. I've never had an issue with it not being tender at this point. Adjust seasonings as desired, and add more thyme, salt, and pepper to taste. Finally, add the mushrooms and stir until incorporated. Enjoy warm!
- Remember to constantly stir the risotto and to keep the heat at medium or a bit lower. Do not leave unattended for more than 60-90 seconds.
- Serve with seafood, like scallops or white fish, or on the side of a lean baked protein. You can also eat risotto as a main dish with a side salad or vegetable.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes on high.
- You can also use this recipe as a basic vegan risotto, and add veggies other than mushrooms (i.e. peas, leeks, or asparagus).
Serving: 1.5cups | Calories: 379kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 381mg | Potassium: 632mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 584IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 3mg