Greek Lentil Salad
This refreshing salad is made with crunchy summer veggies, fresh herbs, and a lemon juice dressing. Serve as a vegetarian main course or side dish.
Servings 8 cups
For the salad
- 1 cup dry brown lentils about 2.5 cups cooked
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano more to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint more to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese more to taste
Cook the lentils according to package instructions. I usually combine one cup dry lentils with three cups water or broth in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes until tender. Check the lentils at 18 minutes to make sure they aren't mushy.
While the lentils cook, chop the veggies and herbs. Then, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, and salt.
Combine the lentils, veggies, herbs, and goat cheese in a mixing bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad, and stir to combine. Enjoy!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days.
- You can make the dressing a few days in advance and keep in the fridge. Mix well before pouring over the salad.
- You can also make the salad in advance, but I recommend combining all of the ingredients except the goat cheese and dressing then adding those right before serving.
- Feel free to substitute different herbs, like basil or parsley, and other veggies.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 203kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 211mg | Potassium: 395mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 826IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 3mg