This vegan arugula sweet potato salad is full of color and delicious flavors! It’s tossed in a cumin lime dressing and sprinkled with pumpkin seeds. Serve it for lunch or as a side to any meal.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
I love when a recipe that I make on a whim turns out good enough to make it to the blog. That’s what happened with this arugula sweet potato salad. I threw it together last month when a friend asked me to bring a side for a birthday dinner.
An unopened container of arugula in the fridge and the dinner’s Mexican food theme were how I decided on the ingredient combination. Spicy arugula as the base, cumin and lime juice for the dressing, and speckles of pumpkin seeds and roasted sweet potato for some oomph.
It all turned out to be wonderfully delicious, and I knew that it had to officially become part of the Veg World library. So, here it is!
How to Make Arugula Sweet Potato Salad
Like most salads, this recipe is very easy. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and instructions.
- Roast the sweet potatoes. Cut them into cubes, toss with olive oil and salt, spread out on a lined baking sheet, and roast until tender.
- Prep the other ingredients. Combine the arugula and pumpkin seeds in a bowl. Whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the salad, and toss with the dressing.
- Use baby arugula and cut the potatoes into bite-sized cubes. The size of the veggies can make a salad so much more appealing.
- If you are making this arugula sweet potato salad in advance, wait to add the dressing until just before serving. It will get soggy if you dress it ahead of time.
- The salad is best enjoyed right after you add the dressing. Leftovers won’t keep well.
- Use roasted and salted pumpkin seeds for best results. Choose dry roasted varieties over those with added oils. If you are watching your salt intake, you can use raw pumpkin seeds.
- Possible additions include cotija, feta, or goat cheese. You can also add chickpeas, chicken, or salmon for extra protein to make the salad a complete meal.
More Healthy Salad Recipes
Love this arugula sweet potato salad?! Check out the Arugula Apple Salad with Pecans, Roasted Chickpea Salad with Herb Yogurt Dressing, and the Chopped Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing. You may also enjoy the Roasted Pumpkin Salad with Apple Cider Dressing.
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
Arugula Sweet Potato Salad
For the salad
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone veggie mat.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes clean. Peel if desired (I like to keep the skin). Slice the sweet potatoes into ½-inch cubes.
- Transfer the cubed sweet potatoes to the lined baking sheet. Toss them with the olive oil, salt, and pepper, and arrange in a single layer. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes until tender and lightly browned.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, combine the arugula and pumpkin seeds in a large bowl. In a separate bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, cumin, and salt.
- Add the cooked sweet potatoes to the arugula and pumpkin seeds when they are finished roasting. Toss the salad in the dressing. Serve, and enjoy!
- Leave a rating or review by tapping the stars on this recipe card (above) or in the comments section (at the end of the post)!
- Possible additions: cotija, feta, or goat cheese crumbles.
- To make the salad a main dish, add some chickpeas, chicken, or salmon for extra protein.
- If you are making the salad in advance, store the salad ingredients and dressing in separate containers. Wait to add the dressing until right before serving.
Have a great weekend! – Lizzie