Last Updated on
This weekend marked the unofficial start of fall in my mind. My husband and I took a trip to the North Shore of Minnesota, and although the leaves haven’t changed yet, the crispness in the air convinced me that autumn is on its way.
Saturday brought rain and fog, but that didn’t stop us from visiting Bent Paddle Brewery, Vikre Distillery, Northern Waters Smokehaus, and some other local spots!
On Sunday, we visited Split Rock Lighthouse on Lake Superior, and took in this beautiful view on the most gorgeous early fall day.
Before we headed back to the Cities, we stopped at Gooseberry for a hike around the falls. It’s cold and rainy in Minneapolis today, but revisiting the photos from this weekend makes me excited for the beautiful days we have ahead!
With a new season comes new recipes, and I have so many tasty ones in store for all of you! I’m looking forward to using the Minnesotan staples, wild rice and maple syrup, that I picked up on our trip this weekend. Stay tuned for seasonal eats that will make you just as excited for sweater weather as I am!
Now on to today’s recipe…
Apples, root vegetables, squash, and more are popping up at the farmers markets. Today I was inspired to use a medley of these early fall staples to create a delicious dish. I even found a way to incorporate that maple syrup I mentioned! The final product is bursting with flavor, fiber, and a touch of sweetness. It’s perfect for lunch or as a side dish for dinner.
So go on, give it a try!
Riced Broccoli Bowls with Roasted Fall Produce and Apple Cider Vinaigrette
For the bowls:
- 1 small delicata squash - deseeded and diced into 1/4 pieces
- 2 Gala apples - diced into 1/4 pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion - sliced
- 2 cups riced broccoli - **Trader Joe's and other stores sells pre-made riced broccoli. To make it yourself, use a food processor to "rice" a head of broccoli.**
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss the squash, apples, and onion with some extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Spread on the baking sheet, and roast for 30 minutes or until the produce turns golden brown.
- While the produce is cooling, combine the dressing ingredients in a glass jar. Shake until well combined.
- In a large bowl, mix the riced broccoli with the roasted produce. Add the pumpkin seeds and dressing. Mix until well combined. Serve cold or at room temperature. Enjoy!
Have a happy and healthy week!