Enjoy this sourdough breakfast strata with kale, shallots, and a mix of gruyere and cheddar cheeses for Christmas morning breakfast or a weekend brunch.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
On the ninth day of Vegmas, my true love gave to me…breakfast strata? Well, more like kale in a breakfast strata to be more clear.
My mom used to make this AMAZING ham, bread, and egg casserole on Christmas morning every year. So, this Sourdough Breakfast Strata with Kale is sort of like my adult, fancy pants version of the Christmas morning breakfast casserole I had as as kid.
I mean, it has sourdough bread AND kale. I’m pretty sure those both fall under the top 10 things millennials love to talk about and/or eat.
But don’t be fooled by the ingredients, it’s incredibly easy to make! You can also prepare this strata the night before you want to eat it and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Game. Changer.
How to Make Sourdough Breakfast Strata with Kale
- Cook the chopped kale and shallots in a skillet until tender. Transfer to a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Add the sourdough bread cubes.
- Sprinkle the gruyere and cheddar cheese top.
Finally, pour the egg mixture on top, cover with foil, and pop in the fridge.
See, isn’t that easy?! Plus, with this Sourdough Breakfast Strata, you don’t have to worry about waking up early to get breakfast ready for the fam.
You can prep it before you head to dinner or church on Christmas Eve, put it in the fridge, and simply transfer it to the oven when you wake up the next morning.
But don’t worry, you don’t need to let it sit overnight if you would rather make the recipe all in one morning!
- After you pour the egg mixture over the other ingredients, shake the dish gently with your hands to promote an even distribution of the eggs. You may also want to stir the mixture with a spoon to make sure the kale isn’t all on the bottom.
- This recipe is customizable, meaning you can sub spinach for kale, change the type of bread you use, and even use a different type of cheese. Whatever floats your boat.
- Sure, a sourdough breakfast strata is a great holiday breakfast, but you can also make it for meal prep! Store slices of the strata in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat for 1-2 minutes on high in the microwave.
PS – you know what would taste really good with this strata!? My Carrot and Orange Mimosas. You’re welcome…
More Vegetable Egg Breakfasts
Check out these other make ahead breakfast recipes if you like this Sourdough Breakfast Strata with Kale.
- Easy Broccoli Cheese Egg Bake
- Broccoli and Sweet Potato Frittata
- Apple Pumpkin Frittata with Gouda
- Make Ahead Veggie Breakfast Burritos
- Blender Frittata with Spiralized Beets and Goat Cheese
- Vegetarian Meal Prep Breakfast Sandwiches
If you make this dish, I’d love to hear how you like it! Please rate/review it using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments section.
Sourdough Breakfast Strata with Kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot - chopped
- 6 cups kale - stems removed and chopped, can use any type of kale
- 4 cups sourdough bread - cubed or roughly torn
- ½ cup gruyere cheese - shredded, plus more for topping
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese - shredded, plus more for topping
- 10 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoon whole grain mustard - can sub dijon
- ½ teaspoon salt - more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper - more to taste
- If you are making the strata right away and not letting it sit overnight, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray or butter.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Finely chop the shallot, and prepare the kale leaves by taking them off their stems and roughly chopping them. Add the shallot and kale to the skillet and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until the shallots are tender and the kale leaves are wilted.
- Transfer the cooked kale and shallots to the baking dish, and then add the torn or cubed sourdough bread, followed by the shredded gruyere and cheddar cheeses.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, salt, and pepper. Pour this mixture over the sourdough, veggies, and cheese. Gently shake the dish with your hands to promote an even distribution of the egg mixture. You may also want to use a spoon to move the kale around. Sprinkle a little more cheese on top if desired. Cover with foil.
- Put the covered strata in the fridge for at least 20 minutes so the bread can soak up everything. You can keep it in the fridge overnight if you plan to bake the strata the following morning.
- Bake the strata for 30 to 35 minutes covered in foil. Remove the foil and bake it for another 15 to 20 minutes until you see the eggs set in the middle and bubbling on the edges. Enjoy warm!
- Customize this recipe however you want with different veggies, bread, or cheeses.
- Store leftover slices of the strata in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat for 1-2 minutes on high in the microwave.
Happy ninth day of Vegmas and less than one week until Christmas!