Summer is here, and so is my love for the season’s produce!
After finishing my dietetic internship at the end of June, I have been spending my days in the kitchen, playing around with summertime veggies and adding a dash of my homegrown herbs. Oh, and studying. So. Much. Studying! After 10 intense months at the VA, I am so excited for the next steps in my career! Especially the continuation of my blog…
Today’s post features zucchini. One of my favorite ways to use this summer squash is to run those bad boys through the spiralizer to get a heaping pile of “zoodles.” The resulting product is a low-carb option that’s a healthy substitution for noodle-based recipes. Plus, the flavor is so mild that you can dress up your zoodles with any sauce or dressing that you’d like!
By the way, if you are interested in purchasing a spiralizer, I use this one and absolutely love it.
Zucchini is low in calories, rich in B vitamins and vitamin C, and filled with fiber. Add this vegetable to your summer meals for a fresh dose of nutrition!
Zucchini Noodles with Chicken and Creamy Peanut Sauce
This tasty dish has hints of peanuts, ginger, and scallions. Perfect for a flavorful weeknight meal!
- For the sauce:
- 6 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsp Sriracha
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce All other ingredients:
- 2 chicken breasts, about 1 lb total
- 3 medium zucchinis, spiralized
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/2-3/4 cup peanuts, to taste
- Combine all ingredients for the creamy peanut sauce in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat. Slice chicken into small strips. Cook on skillet for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in another skillet. Add zoodles and sauté for 5-7 minutes until they shrink and turn semi-translucent.
- Add scallions, peanuts, and cooked chicken, and heat for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Add 1/4 cup of the peanut sauce and mix until covered. Add more as needed.
What are your favorite ways to use zucchini noodles?! Share in the comments below.
Have a happy and healthy weekend!