This simple and delicious chicken fajita bowl recipe is great for meal prep and weeknight lunches or dinners. Learn how to put together a flavorful burrito bowl with cilantro lime rice, homemade fajita veggies and chicken, and all the best toppings.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
Out of the many meal prep bowls I’ve created for the blog, this chicken fajita bowl might just be my favorite! I have thoroughly enjoyed eating the leftovers for lunch this past week.
Chipotle-inspired fajita veggies make up the base of the bowl. Then I added seasoned chicken (which you can marinate while you cook the veggies), cilantro lime brown rice, corn, black beans, and sour cream. If you really wanted to go crazy, add some guacamole too!
This recipe is the stuff of homemade burrito bowl dreams, my friends.
Not only are the ingredients flavorful and nutritious, but you can also prep all of them in advance, keep them in separate containers in the fridge for easy access, and make up a fresh chicken fajita bowl for lunch or dinner.
Alternatively, if you’re not working from home right now and want to put together complete bowls to pack for lunch, you can do that too. Whatever you decide, you’re in for some good eats this week!
How to Make a Homemade Chicken Fajita Bowl
- Slice the raw chicken into strips. Toss it in the marinade in a medium bowl, cover, and keep in the fridge while you cook the veggies.
- Cook the rice according to package instructions.
- Prepare the fajita veggies while the rice is cooking and the chicken is marinating. Remove them from your skillet, and set aside for later.
- Cook the chicken in the same skillet. While the chicken is cooking, drain the black beans and corn, and prepare the cilantro lime dressing for the rice.
- Toss the rice in the dressing.
- Arrange a bowl with fajita veggies, chicken, rice, beans, corn, and sour cream. Store the ingredients in separate containers in the fridge for future bowls!
Be sure to pull up the recipe card (below) on your phone (or print it out) so that you can follow this method while you make the recipe. It’s the most efficient order of operations, in my experience.
- Use instant rice or the microwaveable brown rice packets from Trader Joe’s to save time. Or just make the rice in advance.
- To make a vegetarian burrito bowl instead, skip the chicken and add more beans!
- Feel free to mix up the ingredients or add different toppings, depending on what you have on hand. Other ideas include Pickled Red Onions, Avocado Spread with Garlic, Honey Jalapeno Lime Dressing, Double Pepper Mango Salsa, or Slow Cooker Black Beans with Scallions.
- The ingredients for this chicken fajita bowl recipe should last for up to 5 days in the fridge in airtight containers.
- You can eat these bowls cold or warm.
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
Chicken Fajita Bowl
For the chicken
- Start by slicing the chicken and whisking together the olive oil, lime juice, garlic powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, and salt in a medium bowl. Toss the chicken in the marinade, cover, and put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or for as long as it takes to prepare the other ingredients.
- Cook the fajita veggies according to their recipe instructions, and prepare the rice according to package instructions. While the veggies and rice are cooking, drain the corn and beans, and whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, and cilantro. When the rice is finished cooking, stir in the cilantro lime mixture and season with salt. Set the seasoned rice, veggies, corn, and beans aside.
- Take the chicken out of the fridge. In a large skillet (the same one you used for the veggies), add a drizzle of olive oil and heat over medium high heat. Add the chicken strips (discard any leftover marinade juice) and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Put together a bowl with a fourth of the veggies, chicken, rice, beans, corn, and sour cream. If you aren't eating right away, store the ingredients in separate containers in the fridge to arrange the bowls at a later time. They should last for up to 5 days. You can eat the bowls warm or cold.
- Use minute rice or the Trader Joe’s frozen microwaveable rice packets to save time.
- To make these vegetarian instead, omit the chicken.
- You can sub long grain white rice or other varieties for the brown rice.
- Other topping ideas include pickled red onions, guacamole, shredded cheese, or salsa.
Happy (almost) weekend! – Lizzie