Every season, I collaborate with a group of food bloggers to create a recipe that features an ingredient of our choice. This has been such a fun experience, and I love seeing all of the creative dishes! For the fall, we chose to focus on apples (who doesn’t love apples?!!!), and will be posting our recipes on our blogs and on Instagram with the hashtag #AisforAlltheApples. The past two times that I participated were during my dietetic internship, so I was unable to post the recipe on the blog, and instead featured a special post on my Instagram. So I’m especially excited that today I can contribute with this Individual Microwave Apple Crisp.
There’s a LOT to love about this easy recipe. I’ve created it to be a single serving, for those of you who want a sweet treat without baking a whole cake or batch of cookies. Plus, you can whip it up in no time at all with the help of the microwave.
But just because it’s easy doesn’t mean it’s any less delicious than traditional apple crisp. With hints of cinnamon and ginger, and a touch of brown sugar, you will love how “classic” this tastes! All that gooey autumn deliciousness without even getting any dishes dirty!
This recipe also has built-in portion control. So if you love dessert, but don’t want to go overboard, this Individual Microwave Apple Crisp is for you!
Individual Microwave Apple Crisp
- 1 apple - diced
- 2 tbsp all purpose gluten-free flour - or flour of choice, divided
- 2 tsp brown sugar - divided
- 1/4 tsp ginger - ground
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon - ground (or could use 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice in place of ginger and cinnamon)
- 1 tbsp walnuts - chopped
- 2 tbsp old-fashioned rolled oats - use gluten-free if desired
- 1 tbsp coconut oil - melted
- In a microwaveable mug, combine diced apples, 1 tbsp flour, 1 tsp brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger. Mix until apples are coated.
- In a separate small bowl, combine 1 tbsp flour, 1 tsp brown sugar, walnuts, oats, and coconut oil. Pour over apple layer in mug.
- Microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes or until apples are tender. Enjoy!
*to make this gluten-free, be sure to use certified gluten-free flour and rolled oats