Tossed in a honey lemon dressing, this flavorful Kale Radicchio Salad features homemade sourdough croutons, dried cherries, and parmesan cheese. It’s the perfect marriage of bitter leafy greens to sweet and salty toppings!
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
To be honest, I’m not a big salad person during the winter months. It just feels a little wrong to eat so many cold, raw veggies when the temps are below freezing.
But since hearty, leafy greens are quintessential winter vegetables, I was determined to make a flavorful salad using seasonal fix-ins!
That’s how I settled on combining radicchio with kale. They’re both widely available in the cold weather. AND little did I know they would be such a perfect match with a little zest (lemon), a sweet touch (dried cherries), and a salty kick (parmesan cheese).
In addition to the lettuces and toppings, I also added homemade sourdough croutons to my Kale Radicchio Salad! Honestly, does anyone not love sourdough bread? And croutons? No? Didn’t think so.
What is radicchio lettuce?
If you’re not familiar with radicchio, it’s a leafy vegetable from the chicory family that looks very similar to red cabbage. Radicchio has beautiful, purple-red leaves with white streaks and a fairly bitter taste.
You can typically find it year round in most places, but peak season for radicchio is mid-winter through early spring.
Looking for another radicchio recipe while you’re here? Try the Roasted Radicchio with Strawberry Balsamic Reduction!
How to Make Kale Radicchio Salad
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Slice a few pieces of sourdough bread into cubes. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 7-10 minutes.
- While that’s happening, cut the kale and radicchio. Add it a bowl with dried cherries and shredded parmesan. Whisk together the ingredients for the lemon honey dressing.
- Add the sourdough croutons to the salad bowl, and pour the dressing on top.
Expert Tips and FAQ
- If you are not eating the salad right away, wait to dress it until just before serving. The plain salad and dressing can be stored in separate airtight containers in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- I prefer to use lacinato (dinosaur) kale in this recipe. I find it more enjoyable than curly kale. Read more about their differences here.
- Possible ingredient substitutions and additions:
- Dried cherries: sub dried cranberries or apricots instead
- Parmesan cheese: sub gouda or cheddar; (FYI: parmesan cheese is not technically vegetarian; look for one that is marked vegetarian if you need it)
- More protein: add shredded chicken or turkey, edamame or white beans
Should you wash radicchio?
You should remove any wilted outer leaves and rinse radicchio under cold water before using.
How do you cut radicchio?
First, cut the head of radicchio in half and remove the core with your knife. Next, slice the radicchio into thin, vertical cuts. For Kale Radicchio Salad, you can use long, thin strips (shreds) or cut them in half. It’s up to you and your preferences.
More Salad Recipes
If you like this Kale Radicchio Salad, check out my other favorite salads:
- Shredded Radicchio Salad with Farro and Chicken
- Chopped Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing
- Roasted Pumpkin Salad with Apple Cider Dressing
- Sweet Corn and Cherry Arugula Salad
- Maple Swiss Chard Salad with Turkey
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
Kale Radicchio Salad with Sourdough Croutons
- 4 cups sourdough bread - cut into rough cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 head radicchio - core removed and shredded
- 1 bunch lacinato (dinosaur) kale - stems removed and shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese - freshly grated
- ¾ cup dried cherries - can sub dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Transfer the sourdough bread cubes to a baking sheet and drizzle/toss in olive oil. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until slightly crunchy.
- Prepare the salad by slicing the radicchio and kale into thin cuts. Add them to a mixing bowl with the cheese and dried cherries. In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest, and sea salt.
- When the croutons are ready, add them to the mixing bowl and pour the dressing on top. Mix until coated. Enjoy!
- If you are making this recipe in advance, store the salad and dressing in separate airtight containers in the fridge. Wait to add the dressing until right before serving.
- For additional protein, added shredded chicken or turkey, edamame, or white beans.
Enjoy this recipe! – Lizzie
I made it without the croutons and it was still a #5.
Lizzie Streit, MS, RDN
Wonderful! Thanks for leaving a rating and review.
Made a salad using this recipe as a .base guide. Went for a sweet/sharp
Thistaste combination using radicio, kale, spinach, and cilantro for greens complimented with dried apricots cut into small bites, strawberries also cut small and topped with fine chopped pecans and fresh caramel popcorn This combination was a delicious blend of complimenting textures and flavors.