Disclosure: I received free samples of Wonderful Pistachios mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Wonderful Pistachios and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
You know what I love?! Vegetables! But you already knew that. You know what I love even more than plain veggies? Pairing vegetables with healthy fats! It’s true. I am a huge fan of adding healthy fats to meals to soak up all the nutrients and stay full.
Not to mention healthy fats (like those found in pistachios) have loads of health benefits. Eating just 1.5 ounces of most nuts per day may reduce the risk of heart disease. And if you didn’t know, February is American Heart Month, so now is a great time to focus on trying different foods that promote heart health.
Not only do pistachios have heart healthy monounsaturated fats, they are also bursting with antioxidants. You know those gorgeous green and red-purple hues? Those are indicators of antioxidants, or nutrients that may reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the body. Too much underlying inflammation can contribute to heart disease, so get those antioxidants in when you can folks! Other sources of antioxidants include blueberries, beets, cherries, and even dark chocolate!
Alright, back to the whole pairing veggies with healthy fats thing! Today’s recipe does just that. This Pistachio Crusted Delicata Squash is a simple side dish with unique flavors. There’s cinnamon. There’s sea salt. And of course, pistachios! Trust me, that’s all a match made in heaven ;-).
Don’t the pre-crusted delicata squash rings look a little bit like flowers?! I love their shape! Once you scoop out the seeds, all you need to do is slice the squash into rings, coat them with olive oil, cinnamon, and sea salt, and add some chopped Wonderful Pistachios! Easy as pie.
These taste great fresh out of the oven or even cold for a snack the next day!
Pistachio Crusted Delicata Squash
- 1 delicata squash - scrubbed and ends chopped off
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup Wonderful Pistachios
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- While the oven is preheating, prepare the squash by slicing it in half and scooping out the seeds in both halves. Then, slice into rings. Combine the olive oil, cinnamon, and sea salt. In a large bowl, coat the squash with the olive oil mixture and toss until coated. Place squash pieces on the lined baking sheet.
- In a small food processor (or using a knife), coarsely chop the pistachios. Sprinkle the chopped pistachios on each delicata squash ring, coating the entire surface. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until squash are tender. Enjoy!
Pin this Pistachio Crusted Delicata Squash now to make later!
Enjoy this tasty dish!!! Thank you to Wonderful Pistachios for the samples!
This looks so delicious!! Can’t wait to try it!
Yay thanks Anna! I hope you love it!
Oooh this is so clever – need to try this!
Thanks, Deanna! It’s one of my new favorite side dishes. Hope you love it!!