Last Updated on
Ok, so I posted about carrots two days in a row. I know, I know. Sue me! They’re just such a versatile ingredient that it was bound to happen. This recipe, however, uses carrots in a much different way than yesterday’s Beet and Carrot Veggie Applesauce.
Instead of cooking and mashing carrots, I kept them raw and used a vegetable peeler to produce gorgeous fresh carrot shavings. These pretty lil’ things are the perfect companion to shaved fennel, a lesser known veggie with a subtle anise test.
If you’ve never had fennel before, this might be one of the best ways to try it. Some people, especially those who hate licorice, shy away from fennel. But it has a lot to offer from a culinary standpoint. Its unique taste really shakes up traditional recipes, and when you pair fennel with the right companions (like sweet carrots), you’re in for a real treat.
To prepare the fennel for this recipe, simply slice off the stalks and wash the bulb. You will only shave the bulb with a vegetable peeler, since the stalks are usually bitter. As for those pretty little green wisps on the stalks, they’re called fronds. And you can keep those to sprinkle on top of this Shaved Fennel Carrot Salad before you serve it.
If you are part of the Veg World, you’ve probably picked up on the fact that I love to make super fancy looking recipes that are secretly (or not so secretly) incredibly easy to make. Fake it until you make it, am I right?!! This is one of those recipes. And here’s a tip – if you pick up multicolored carrots, instead of just orange ones, you’ll get an even prettier dish!
Simple Shaved Carrot and Fennel Salad
- 4 large carrots - orange or multicolored
- 1 bulb fennel - stalks and fronds removed
- 1/4 cup pistachios - chopped
- Fennel fronds - for serving
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon - juiced
- 1 clove garlic - crushed or minced
- 1/4 tsp dried mustard - optional
- Prepare the carrots by slicing off their ends and peeling off the outer layer. Then, use a vegetable peeler to create thin shavings. Use the same method to create thin shavings of the fennel by peeling its bulb.
- Combine the shavings and pistachios in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the veggies and nuts. Mix until well coated. Serve with fennel fronds on top.
- Enjoy chilled or at room temperature!
Pin this Simple Shaved Carrot Fennel Salad now to make later!
Enjoy eating in color 😉 –