Looking for the perfect shredded Brussels sprouts salad for the fall and winter? Look no further than this delicious combo of shaved Brussels sprouts, dates, toasted pine nuts, and pomegranate arils!
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
On the second day of Vegmas, my true love gave to me: BRUSSELS SPROUTS! Whether you hate or love Brussels sprouts, this salad is for you. I mean it.
Some people imagine Brussels sprouts as these gross, mushy things. If that’s how you think of them, there’s a good chance that this salad will totally change how you feel about this veggie!
There are a few amazing things I want to highlight about this salad. For one, shredded Brussels sprouts have a crunchy and irresistible texture. But you might be wondering…
How do you make shredded Brussels sprouts?
You can use a food processor to shred Brussels sprouts, which will produce rice-like pieces. You can also shred them using a sharp knife or mandoline (be very careful), to get cuts that are more “shaved” than shredded. Both ways are delicious and visually appealing!
Second, my shredded Brussels sprouts salad has the most amazing combination of flavors! Sweet? There’s dates AND pomegranate arils. Tangy? I got you covered with an apple cider vinaigrette.
Nutty? Enter: toasted pine nuts! If you let everything sit for a couple of hours after you make the salad, the flavors taste even better!
Finally, you can enjoy this recipe as a quick vegetable side dish or as part of a holiday dinner! It even has a festive color scheme with the green Brussels and red pomegranate seeds.
More Brussels Sprouts Recipes
I’d love to hear how you like the salad! Please rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments section. For more veggie inspiration, subscribe to the weekly newsletter.
Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with Dates
- Prepare the Brussels sprouts to be shredded by slicing off the ends and removing any brown leaves. Add the Brussels sprouts to a food processor and pulse until they are shredded into rice-like pieces. Alternatively, you can use a mandoline or very sharp knife to thinly slice the Brussels sprouts into shaved pieces. Most stores also sell pre-shredded Brussels sprouts in the produce section.
- Add the Brussels sprouts to a large bowl. Put the pine nuts in a small skillet over medium heat, and toast until fragrant and slightly browned (be cautious - this can happen quickly!). Thinly slice the dates. Add the pine nuts, dates, and pomegranate seeds to the bowl with the Brussels sprouts.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and dijon mustard. Whisk until smooth, and pour over the salad. Toss until everything is evenly coated. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- Enjoy immediately or let the salad sit in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
- Keep the dates in the fridge until you are ready to slice them. This will make them less sticky and easier to slice.
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
- If you are making this in advance for a holiday or party, you can dress the salad up to a few hours ahead of time. It won't get soggy, and the flavors taste better after they sit together for a while.
Happy eating! – Lizzie