“Roasting” beets in the crockpot is one of the absolute best ways to prepare them! These Rosemary Honey Slow Cooker Beets are perfectly tender and incredibly flavorful, and a great addition to weekend meal prep or even a holiday meal.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
I just got back from a run in 80+ degree heat, but I promise you, CROCKPOT SEASON IS COMING!
Believe me, I am SO glad that we’re having a little bit of an Indian Summer. Mainly because I know what’s on the other side of this, and I’m ALL about postponing the Minnesota winter ;-).
But that doesn’t mean I haven’t started thinking about cold weather dishes for all of you! In my eyes, October 1 (which is only a couple weeks away) is when it becomes acceptable to use your slow cooker several times a week.
I have long been a proponent of using this kitchen tool to save time and make meals in bulk. But I haven’t ever thought of using it to prepare my FAV vegetable…beets! Until now.
Roasting beets takes a long time, so why not do it in the slow cooker instead of the oven so you can set it and forget it? Plus, slow cooker beets require no foil and, in my opinion, make less of a mess!
I can’t promise that you won’t completely avoid staining your hands red, but I can promise that you will only have one dish to clean afterwards. And the smells that fill your kitchen, plus the juicy, tender, and flavorful beets you’ll make, are SO worth it.
How to Slow Cook Beets
- Slice off the tops and bottoms of each beet and remove their skins with a swivel peeler. Slice them into wedges.
- Place them in the slow cooker (no foil required!).
- Whisk together honey, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, rosemary, and sea salt.
- Pour over the beets, put the lid on the slow cooker, and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
One of the amazing things about this recipe is that you can easily double or triple it to feed large crowds. Sounds like a great idea for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or another holiday…don’t ya think?
Other Seasoning Ideas
You can also switch up the seasonings. The following combinations would pair well with earthy beets:
- Orange juice and zest + maple syrup + thyme + EVOO
- Garlic + onion + soy sauce + honey + EVOO
- Balsamic vinegar + maple syrup + sea salt + EVOO
For other ideas on how to boost the flavor of veggies, check out my Vegetable Seasoning Guide.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Beets
Slow cooker beets are great to prep in bulk to add to lunch bowls, salads, and dinners all week long. You can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5-7 days.
As a side dish, serve them alone or with crumbled goat cheese and pumpkin seeds. They would pair well with meat or fish.
If you make this recipe, be sure to rate and review it using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and don’t forget to follow and tag @its_a_vegworld_afterall on Instagram! Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
For other beet dishes, try the Spiralized Golden Beet Salad with Rosemary Honey Dressing, Beet and Carrot Veggie Applesauce, Roasted Beets and Burrata with Orange Balsamic, and the Roasted Beet and Cabbage Slaw.
Rosemary Honey Slow Cooker Beets
- Prepare the beets by slicing off the tops and ends and peeling them. Slice them into quarters and transfer to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, honey, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, and fresh rosemary. Pour over the beets and stir until coated.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 7-8 hours until the beets are fork tender. Serve with spoonfuls of the liquid/marinade and garnish with rosemary sprigs.
Have a great weekend!