Perfectly charred garlic scapes smothered in homemade parsley butter make a delicious summer side dish! If you’re new to cooking with scapes, this simple recipe makes it easy to experiment with them.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
Well, it’s definitely farmers market season y’all! If you’ve been visiting your local market or get a weekly box of CSA (community supported agriculture) produce, you may be familiar with garlic scapes. They’re popping up all over the place!
These thin stalks are bright green in color and grow from the bulbs of, you guessed it, garlic. Their slinky shape reminds me of snakes and, pardon my Harry Potter reference, they kind of look like they could be part of the Slytherin crest. Can you tell I’m in the heart of re-reading HP? (ha!)
Garlic scapes are removed so that garlic bulbs can bulk up and be ready for harvest later in the season. Some people may throw them away or add them to a compost pile, but you really shouldn’t!
They are such a versatile ingredient and taste similar to garlic, but with a milder, chive-like flavor. Their taste is strongest when eaten raw; cooking seems to weaken them.
You can chop them up and use them in place of garlic in recipes, add them to pestos or dips, mix them in with eggs, and even pickle them. Or you can grill them, as I chose to do with these Charred Garlic Scapes with Parsley Butter.
Garlic scapes have an earthy flavor, so I wanted to pair them with a lil’ something extra. Enter: parsley butter.
Yeah, you read that right! Parsley. BUTTER. Adding fresh herbs to butter is a fun way to add a little flair to recipes. If you need a dish to show off to your friends, this fancy-looking recipe is for you.
But don’t be fooled by its good looks, it only requires a handful of ingredients! If you still have some garlic scapes leftover after making it, check out my Potato Garlic Scape Soup or Lemon Garlic Scape Pasta while you’re here.
More Grilled Veggie Recipes
- Grilled Wedge Salad with Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing
- Garlic Rosemary Grilled Cauliflower Foil Packets
- Grilled Stuffed Mushrooms with Caprese Salad
- Grilled Broccolini with Lemon and Parmesan
If you make this charred garlic scapes recipe, I’d love to hear how you like it! Please rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments section below.
Charred Garlic Scapes with Parsley Butter
- Preheat a grill or grill pan. You can trim both ends of the garlic scapes or leave them intact. Toss the scapes with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place them directly on the grill racks or grill pan. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes on each side, until charred. Be careful not to overcook them.
- Prepare the parsley butter in a small bowl by using a fork to press and mix the fresh parsley into the softened butter. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve the scapes warm with a few dollops of parsley butter. Enjoy!
Enjoy your scapes! – Lizzie