A light and easy summer dinner recipe, these cod foil packets are both delicious and healthy! Tender cod sits atop summer vegetables inside aluminum foil and gets perfectly steamed on the grill in less than 15 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
Summertime, and the living’s easy. I’m channeling that mantra this year, especially when it comes to new blog recipes!
Grilling out in the summer is such a fun activity, and there’s nothing better than a fast meal that can be made entirely on the grill. Who wants to spend tons of time on prep and cleanup when you could be outside enjoying the summer evening?! No one, that’s who.
That’s why I created these new cod foil packets with veggies for you! Enclosing the fish and vegetables in foil allows them to steam inside the packet, yielding a perfectly tender meal that cooks quickly.
The packets are delicious and super simple. Whip up a fruit salad or a side of minute rice or quinoa while they’re on the grill, and you’ll have a balanced meal in no time.
How to Make Cod Foil Packets
For the full ingredients and instructions for making grilled fish in foil with vegetables, scroll down to the recipe card. Here’s a preview of the process.
- Prepare the vegetables, and toss them in oil and seasonings.
- Spray the center of a long piece of aluminum foil (about 18 inches long) with cooking spray. Place about a cup of vegetables in the center area.
- Put a cod fillet on top of the vegetables. Rub with oil, sprinkle with seasonings, and squeeze lemon juice over the fish and veggies.
- Fold foil in half over the fish and vegetables, then roll in each side to make a sealed packet. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients. Cook on the grill until tender, and enjoy!
How Long to Grill Fish in Foil
These cod foil packets take 12 to 15 minutes to cook over medium-high heat on a closed grill. Cod is generally pretty thin and therefore cooks quickly. If you use another type of fish, you may need more or less cooking time, but generally fish takes 10 to 15 minutes to cook in foil.
I recommend using veggies I included in this recipe or ones that are similarly thin and soft. For example, you could sub asparagus for green beans or use bell peppers. Potatoes and other root vegetables take longer to cook, so they are not the best choices for pairing with fish in a foil packet.
If you don’t have a grill, you can still make these cod foil packets! Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the packets on a baking sheet and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
More Healthy Grilling Recipes
If you love these cod foil packets, check out the Garlic Rosemary Grilled Cauliflower Foil Packets! Some of my other favorite grilling recipes include the Grilled Vegetable Skewers with Halloumi, Grilled Quesadilla with Veggies and Beans, Grilled Panzanella Salad, and the Grilled Stuffed Mushrooms with Caprese Salad.
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
Grilled Cod Foil Packets with Vegetables
- Aluminum foil
- ½ zucchini - thinly sliced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes - halved
- 10 to 15 green beans - cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cod fillets
- Salt - to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- ½ lemon - juiced
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Tear off two, 18-inch pieces of aluminum foil. Spray the center of each one with cooking spray and set aside.
- Add the veggies to a mixing bowl, and drizzle with a tablespoon of the olive oil. Sprinkle with about half of the fresh herbs, and season with salt and pepper. Spoon about a cup of vegetables into the center of each foil packet.
- Place a cod fillet on top of the veggies in each packet. Rub the rest of the olive oil on the cod fillets. Sprinkle with the rest of the herbs, and season with salt and pepper. Squeeze lemon juice over the cod and vegetables.
- Fold each piece of foil in half over the fish and veggies. Roll in the sides to form a fully sealed foil packet.
- Place the packets on the grill, close, and cook for 12 to 15 minutes until the fish is cooked through and veggies are tender. For reference, I cooked my packets for 13 minutes and they were perfect.
- Serve with a fresh fruit salad or side of rice or quinoa for a balanced meal.
- You can use other types of fish and veggies for these packets, but you may need more or less cooking time. In general, fish and veggie packets on the grill take 10 to 15 minutes to cook. I recommend only using veggies that are thin and soft like the veggies I used (tomatoes, green beans, zucchini). Asparagus, sliced bell peppers, eggplant, and corn kernels are all good options. Potatoes and root vegetables take longer to cook than fish, so they are generally not good options.
- To make these packets in the oven instead of the grill, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the packets on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
Happy grilling! – Lizzie