This easy Greek Cauliflower Rice recipe is made with mushrooms, garlic, capers, and lemon. It’s bursting with delicious Mediterranean flavors, and makes the perfect vegan side dish for dinner or lunch.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
If you are an OG Veg World® reader, then you may remember this recipe! I originally posted my version of Greek Cauliflower Rice in February of 2015. Now, 5 years later, I’m updating this delicious dish with some better pictures and a whole lotta extra flavor.
If you don’t recall this recipe, you should totally hop onto my newsletter list. Click this link to subscribe, so that you won’t miss out on any recipes. Honestly, though, I’d be very impressed if someone remembers my old version from 2015. Let me know if you do in the comments. ;-)!
Back then, the riced cauliflower trend was just beginning. Now, you can find riced broccoli, beets, butternut squash, and even kohlrabi. Just take a look at the frozen veggie section the next time you’re at the grocery store!
I love that riced and spiralized veggies are becoming more accessible, and making it easier for people to add more veggies into their diet. Of course, there’s still room for regular ol’ rice in your diet, but experimenting with veggie “rice” is a fun way to mix up your vegetable intake. You can even combine riced veggies and plain rice.
And did you know it’s SUPER easy to make your own riced veggies?! You just need a food processor to get started. Check out my post on How to Make Riced Broccoli if you don’t believe me.
Once you get on board with that, you can make this Greek Cauliflower Rice all the time! (Or, you can use store-bought riced cauliflower – deets below). The incredible flavor in this vegan dish will certainly make you crave it again and again.
How to Make Greek Cauliflower Rice
- Chop or separate a head of cauliflower into pieces. Add them to a food processor.
- Pulse until you get rice-like pieces.
- Cook mushrooms, garlic, and onion in a large skillet.
- Add the cauliflower rice, oregano, capers, and lemon juice. Cook for a few more minutes, stirring well, until it’s warmed through.
Want another easy cauliflower recipe while you’re here? Check out the Whole Roasted Cauliflower!
Expert Tips for Cooking Cauliflower Rice
One of the reasons I reworked this Greek Cauliflower Rice was to boost the flavor. And I learned some valuable tips in the process that will help you make the perfect dish.
- Size and texture of cauliflower rice: If you want larger pieces, I recommend only putting half of the cauliflower florets in the food processor at one time. Pulse and remove before adding the second batch of florets. If you want smaller pieces, put all of the cauliflower florets in the food processor at the same time. You will need to pulse for longer periods of time, resulting in smaller pieces. It also helps to use a rubber spatula to push down the cauliflower on the sides of the food processor a few times during the process.
- Seasonings: For more flavor, top with fresh herbs (like parsley) and lemon zest before serving! Greek Cauliflower Rice also tastes AMAZING with feta cheese.
- Using frozen cauliflower rice: If you don’t want to make your own riced cauliflower, frozen cauliflower rice is a great option! You can add it to the skillet right from frozen, but it will take longer to warm through than raw cauliflower rice.
- Storage: Leftovers can last for up to 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge. You can enjoy them cold or reheated in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Where to Buy Cauliflower Rice
If you want to buy pre-made cauliflower rice, you can find it at Trader Joe’s in the freezer section. Green Giant also makes frozen riced veggies that can be found at most large grocery stores. For more of my favorite frozen veggies from Trader Joe’s, check out this post on the top 6 options.
Ways to Use Greek Cauliflower Rice
This recipe is the ultimate veggie side dish! You can serve it with a lean protein, like white fish, salmon, chicken, or pork. Finally, you can make Greek Cauliflower rice bowls with feta cheese and shredded turkey or white beans for a complete meal all in one.
More Delicious Cauliflower Recipes
- Weeknight Cauliflower Curry Recipe
- Cauliflower Steaks with Lemon Parsley Tahini
- Garlic Rosemary Grilled Cauliflower Foil Packets
- Cauliflower al Pastor Bowls
- Baked Sticky Orange Cauliflower
If you make this Greek Cauliflower Rice, I’d love to hear how you like it! Please rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments section.
Greek Cauliflower Rice
- Food processor
- 1 head cauliflower - separated into florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion - diced
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms - sliced
- 3 cloves garlic - pressed or minced
- 3 tbsp capers - drained; more to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 lemon - juiced; more to taste
- Sea salt - to taste
- Lemon zest - for serving
- Fresh parsley - or other herbs, for serving
- Add the cauliflower florets to a food processor or blender and pulse until they resemble rice-like pieces. You may need to scrape the sides occasionally.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions, mushroom, and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Add the riced cauliflower, capers, oregano, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Cook for a few more minutes, until warmed through.
- Serve with lemon zest and fresh parsley or other herbs. Enjoy warm or cold!
- To make larger pieces, pulse the cauliflower in batches in the food processor.
- You can easily sub store-bought or frozen riced cauliflower instead of making your own. Add it frozen to the skillet after you cook the mushrooms and onion and cook until warmed through.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Enjoy cold, or reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve on the side of a lean protein, or use this recipe to make bowls with feta cheese, shredded chicken or turkey, and/or white beans for a more complete meal.
Have a happy and healthy week! – Lizzie