These BBQ Green Beans are smothered in a lightened up sauce and baked with thinly sliced onions. They’re a crowd-pleasing side dish that’s great for holidays and potlucks!
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
As you can probably tell from my recent content, I’m all about easy potluck and cookout dishes in the summer.
And these Healthy BBQ Green Beans are the perfect vegetable side dish for warm weather get-togethers! To be honest, though, they’d also be great for the holiday season.
With a flavorful homemade barbecue sauce, they taste similar to baked beans. So if you’re a fan of those, you will love these green beans! Go on…give them a try.
How to Make BBQ Green Beans
First, trim the green beans and thinly slice half of an onion into half-moon pieces.
Add the veggies to a large mixing bowl, and in a separate bowl whisk together ketchup (preferably a low sugar or no sugar added variety), Worcestershire sauce (use a vegan brand if you need these to be vegan), maple syrup, and garlic powder.
Pour the sauce over the green beans and onion and mix until coated. Transfer to a baking dish, and bake for 20 minutes at 350. Boom.
This recipe yields about 6 servings, but can easily be doubled if you’re feeding a bigger crowd and will likely still fit in a 9×13 baking dish.
Can you use canned green beans in this recipe?
Yes! If you are in a pinch and would like to use canned green beans in place of fresh ones, go for it. I have made the recipe with both kinds of green beans. Just be sure to thoroughly drain and rinse the canned ones.
Can you prep BBQ Green Beans in advance?
You sure can. Prep the green beans and onions, coat them in the sauce, transfer to a baking dish, and then cover tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Keep in the fridge until you want to bake them.
These go great with cookout food (i.e. burgers, veggie burgers like my Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burgers, chicken), and would also taste good on the side of fish or skewers. You can serve them with ham or turkey during the holiday season, too.
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
Healthy BBQ Green Beans
- 4 cups green beans – trimmed (if fresh); or 2 x 15-oz cans rinsed and drained canned green beans
- 1/2 yellow onion – thinly sliced into half-moons
- 1/2 cup ketchup – look for one with low sugar or no added sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce – look for a vegan brand to make these vegan
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- Combine the trimmed green beans and thinly sliced onion in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, maple syrup, and garlic powder. Pour over the green beans and onions. Mix until well coated.
- Transfer to the baking sheet, and bake for ~20-25 minutes, or until the green beans and onions are tender. Enjoy!
Enjoy! – Lizzie