A refreshing marinated green bean salad with red onions, chickpeas, and homemade Italian dressing, this vegan side dish is loaded with nutrition and great for summer potlucks and cookouts. It’s ready in just 15 minutes!
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
As I write this post, the windows are open and the sun is pouring into my office. Summer, I see you!
And what’s better than a refreshing, veggie-loaded dish like this cold green bean salad on a hot day?! Nothing, I tell you. Nothing. Well, maybe a glass of white wine to go with it. But I digress…
The inspiration for this Italian Marinated Green Bean Salad was the upcoming Memorial Day weekend, a.k.a. the start of cookout season.
This year, we’ll be traveling over Memorial Day to visit my family in Colorado, so we won’t be making this salad. But believe me, this recipe will be on repeat all summer long in the Streit house!
Turns out that crunchy green beans, thinly sliced red onion, chickpeas, and a flavorful Italian dressing is a pretty amazing combination.
And the best part? Green bean salad is a great make-ahead dish for you to keep in the fridge and grab on your way out to a BBQ.
How to Make Marinated Green Bean Salad
Here’s my biggest tip for making the perfect green bean salad: don’t cook the green beans too long! You want them to be equal parts soft and crunchy.
To accomplish this, bring a pot of salted water to a boil, and drop the green beans in to cook for JUST 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat immediately, drain them in the sink in a colander, and rinse with cold water ASAP.
Although I haven’t done it, I think you could also use canned green beans if you’re in a pinch. But, I personally prefer fresh green beans over canned.
While the green beans are cooking, thinly slice ½ of a red onion and drain a can of chickpeas. Whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, and dried oregano, parsley, garlic powder, rosemary, and basil.
Put everything together in a bowl, and mix it up. Done. Serve right away, or store it in the fridge for a while (even a whole day) before you serve it…so it’s nice and marinated and cold! Yum.
You can serve green bean salad with burgers, fish, chicken, you name it. Slice up some fruit, and you’ve got yourself a delicious summer meal. This salad also makes a good vegan main dish!
More Potluck Dishes
- Quinoa Arugula Salad with Pineapple
- Vegan Potato Salad Recipe with Fresh Dill
- Red, White, and Blue Beet Slaw
- Sugar Snap Pea Quinoa Salad
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
Italian Marinated Green Bean Salad
- 1 pound green beans - trimmed and long ones sliced in half, about 3 cups
- ½ red onion - thinly sliced into half-moons
- 1 15.5 oz can chickpeas - drained and rinsed
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Trim the green beans, and slice any long ones in half, then drop them into the boiling water for just 2-3 minutes. Remove the pot from heat and drain the green beans in a colander in the sink. Rinse with cold water.
- While the green beans are cooking, thinly slice the red onion and drain the chickpeas. Whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, parsley, garlic powder, rosemary, basil, and salt.
- Combine the green beans, red onion, chickpeas, and dressing in a large bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Serve right away, or transfer the salad to an airtight container in the fridge to serve later. Enjoy!
Have a great weekend! – Lizzie