Happy New Year to all of the Veg World!!! And what a wonderful year it will be. I’m actually a big fan of New Year’s Day; there’s optimism in the air, and it leaves me feeling so hopeful for the year ahead.
With every new year comes resolutions. And usually those resolutions have to do with healthy eating and exercise. While it can be tempting to sign up for a 30-day challenge, juice cleanse, or another type of restrictive meal plan, I encourage you to consider learning more about balanced eating in 2018.
Today’s recipe is the perfect way to sneak in some more plants as you begin the New Year. Eating more veggies never hurt anyone! Plus, this Winter Salad with Shaved Brussels and Farro is a great meal prep dish. Prepare a big batch for tasty lunches all week long.
Ok so let’s talk about the dressing on this bad boy real quick. Honey + mustard = happiness. That’s a good description of it right there! With a touch of freshly squeezed orange juice, you’ll be coming back for more in no time at all.
Aside from being easy on the eyes, this dish is filled with foods that can boost immunity, making it a nourishing choice for this time of year. This winter salad is rich in fiber and healthy fats (from the extra-virgin olive oil in the dressing). Add in a lean protein, and you got yourself a balanced meal with the big 3: protein, fat, and fiber!
Winter Salad with Shaved Brussels and Farro
- 4 cups shaved brussels sprouts
- 2 cups farro - cooked
- 1 11 oz can mandarin oranges - drained and rinsed
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp whole grain dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 orange - juiced
- Sea salt and black pepper - to taste
- In a large bowl, combine brussels, farro, and mandarin oranges.
- Using a bowl and whisk or a small blender, combine ingredients for dressings and blend/whisk until well combined.
- Pour dressing over salad to taste. I used about 1/4 cup. Enjoy!
*Read about my thoughts on 2018 nutrition trends, and thoughts from other dietitians too, in this article on the Sun Basket website!*
I can’t wait to make 2018 the Veg World’s best year yet!