Today’s post is dedicated to one of the more difficult ingredients to work with in the kitchen- black radishes. I picked up these pungent root veggies at the market over the weekend, with a bit too much optimism that I could easily come up with a tasty Veg World creation for them. But after much experimentation, I think I figured out how to maximize their flavor without sending your taste buds running for a glass of water. Marination is key, my friends! Paired with spinach, quinoa, and roasted beets, the radishes add the perfect unsual punch to this seasonal dish.
Winter Salad with Marinated Black Radishes
- 2 cups fresh spinach - washed
- 1 small beet - roasted and chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 3 small black radishes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic - pressed
- Peel and slice radishes into matchstick pieces. Place pieces in a colander and toss in salt.
- While the radishes sit, whisk together the sesame oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and garlic. Pour radishes and brine in a small jar, close, and shake until all radish pieces are coated. Let them sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- In the meantime, combine the spinach, beets, and quinoa in a serving bowl. Top with marinated radishes and a sprinkle of the brine, serve, and enjoy!
Have a happy and healthy weekend 🙂