For an equally crispy and tasty substitution for potato chips, give healthy Baked Parsnip Chips a try! They’re a delicious marriage of salty and sweet, and an easy, nutritious snack. You’ll want to eat the whole batch!
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
This week, I attended an amazing food and dietitian blogging conference called Blog Brulee in Smuggler’s Notch, VT. It was an incredible experience, and my mind is spinning with so much inspiration and enthusiasm!
So, as you can imagine, I’m pretty exhausted as I sit down and write this post about Baked Parsnip Chips. (I’m very glad that this is a 3-ingredient recipe without too many steps!)
But I wanted to share this recipe sooner than later because 1) you probably won’t want to live without parsnip chips for that much longer, and 2) they’re the perfect snack for football Saturdays in the fall (cough, tomorrow, cough).
But eating them as chips is the perfect way to try them if you’re a parsnip newbie! Plus, this recipe is suitable for paleo, vegan, and gluten free diets.
How to Choose Parsnips to Make Chips
Before you commit to making this recipe, it’s important to look for parsnips that are fairly large. This is because they really shrink in the oven. So, the bigger you can slice the discs to begin with, the better.
Peak parsnip season is from fall through spring, so you have the best chance of finding bigger parsnips to make chips during this time.
How to Make Crispy Parsnip Chips
Once you have your parsnips, here are some of my best tips for making crispy baked vegetable chips that don’t burn.
- To slice thin discs: I highly recommend using a mandoline to slice parsnips. You want the slices to be very thin, similar to the size of a dime or quarter, so that they crisp up and cook evenly in the oven. You can also use a very sharp knife, but know that you will have some chips that aren’t as crispy as others.
- Oil: Use olive or avocado oil to coat the chips before you put them on a lined baking sheet to go into the oven. However, you don’t want to use too much oil. I recommend about 2 tablespoon for 4-5 parsnips.
- Cooking time and temperature: Parsnip chips cook best at 350 degrees F. However, you may have some chips that cook faster than others. I recommend checking them at 15 minutes and then again every 5 minutes until you hit 25-30 minutes total. You may need to remove some chips from the sheet (so they don’t burn) and put the others back in the oven for a few minutes longer.
Parsnips have such a delicious taste, so I only seasoned my chips with sea salt. However, you can also add garlic powder, rosemary, basil, or your other favorite seasonings.
For some other recipes with parsnips, check out:
- Roasted Parsnip Guacamole
- Individual Microwave Parsnip Pear Crisp
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce with Parsnips
- Savory Roasted Root Vegetables
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
Easy Baked Parsnip Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Depending on the size of your parsnips, you may be able to fit them all onto one sheet.
- Scrub and trim the parsnips. Use a mandoline to slice them into thin discs, about the size of a dime or quarter. You can also use a sharp knife, but you likely won't be able to slice them as thin.
- Put the parsnip discs in a large mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and mix until the discs are slightly coated. They should not be drenched in oil.
- Spread the chips out evenly on the baking sheets, and be careful not to overlap. Transfer the sheets to the second and third oven racks, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the chips are crispy and no longer tender in the middle. Start checking them as early as 15 minutes to see if you need to remove some of the smaller discs before they burn and then put the rest back in the oven.
- Sprinkle the chips with sea salt and enjoy!