Last Updated on
Are you a fan of sweet and savory combos? Cheddar and apple? Fruit-based sauces with meat or fish? Those are a few that come to mind when I think about pairing a sweet food with an unexpected counterpart.
These Savory Roasted Root Vegetables aren’t as classic as fruit and cheese, but their flavor profile is the closest I’ve come to sweet and savory! (So if you answered yes to that first question, you’re in luck!) The sweet potatoes and parsnips in this recipe are perfectly complemented by earthy beets, and touches of rosemary and oregano. Like I said, sweet and savory, Veg World style.
The recipe is written to include these specific veggies, but I’m sure any combination of root vegetables would work just fine.
Speaking of root vegetables, let’s chat about their nutritional benefits for a while, shall we?
This group of veggies includes potatoes, beets, parsnips, carrots, rutabaga, radishes, celery, turnips, kohlrabi, and more. Not all of these veggies are actually “roots.” Some are tubers, like potatoes and sweet potatoes. As you may have guessed by their name, they grow underground surrounded by soil. And bathing in all of that nutrient-rich soil is the main reason why root vegetables are so nutritious!
All of these vegetables are FILLED with fiber and rich in complex carbohydrates. This means that they won’t spike your blood sugar as much as refined carbs, such as white breads or baked goods. Eating root vegetables can satisfy your hankering for carbs, and give you a whole lot of added nutrition while you’re at it.
They also have loads of vitamin A (mainly in the precursor form of beta-carotene) and vitamin C, two powerful nutrients that can help fight inflammation in the body.
They’re small but mighty, huh?! Let’s dig in!
Savory Roasted Root Vegetables
- 5 parsnips - scrubbed and sliced
- 4 medium beets - scrubbed and diced
- 1 large sweet potato - scrubbed and diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano - or 2 tbsp fresh
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary - or 2 tbsp fresh
- Sea salt - to taste
- Fresh rosemary sprigs - for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with foil.
- In a large bowl, combine diced veggies with olive oil and seasonings. Mix until well coated. Transfer to baking sheets. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until slightly brown and tender.
Pin these Savory Roasted Root Vegetables now to make later!