Spicy Buffalo Chickpea Salad Celery Sticks are the perfect finger food for game day! They’re loaded with flavor and take only 15 minutes to prepare.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
Playoff football is officially in session, and it’s the best time of year…for snacks! I mean, if you don’t have a killer snack spread while you’re watching a game, does it even count?
I’m assuming that since you landed on this recipe for super yummy, super easy buffalo chickpea salad stuffed into celery, you’re on the same page as me.
This celery appetizer recipe is SO great for SO many reasons. For one, it features buffalo and blue cheese…a match made in heaven! Second, it requires very minimal chopping and NO oven time. Perfect for a last minute get-together with friends for the game, right?
So, without further adieu, let’s get to the good stuff. You probably have a game to watch, after all!
How to Make Buffalo Chickpea Salad Celery Sticks
- Combine cooked chickpeas, chopped red onion and celery, Greek yogurt, buffalo sauce, and blue cheese in a large mixing bowl. Stir until combined.
- Slice celery stalks into thirds. Then, use a sharp knife to shave off the back of each celery piece, so that it lays flat on a serving tray. Stuff ’em up, and enjoy!
Wait, that can’t be it, can it?!
Oh, it sure is, friends.
- Look for large celery stalks that are wide enough to hold the buffalo chickpea salad.
- I used Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce, but if you can’t find that, you can use a smaller amount of Frank’s Red Hot Original Hot Sauce.
- I mixed the buffalo sauce with Greek yogurt for a little added nutrition, but you can sub ranch dressing if you don’t have yogurt on hand.
- This is a great recipe to make in advance. Store the buffalo chickpea salad in an airtight container in the fridge and assemble the celery sticks right before serving.
For a flavorful finish, add another drizzle of buffalo sauce and a sprinkle of bleu cheese crumbles right before serving. Ooo! and I just thought of another way to use it…on top of cucumber slices.
Mmmm. As you can see, I’m pretty excited about this one.
More Vegetable Game Day Recipes
Want to serve this buffalo chickpea salad alongside some other healthy snacks? Check out:
- Baked Orange Sesame Cauliflower
- Loaded Radish Chips Nachos
- Lighter Spinach Artichoke Dip with Greek Yogurt
- Sweet Potato Skins with Easy Barbecue Beans
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear how you like it! Rate/review the dish using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments section.
Buffalo Chickpea Salad Celery Sticks
- 1 15.5 oz can chickpeas - drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup red onion - finely chopped
- 2 tbsp buffalo sauce
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp blue cheese crumbles - more to taste
- 8 stalks celery - sliced into thirds
- In a large bowl, combine chickpeas, chopped red onions, buffalo sauce, Greek yogurt, and blue cheese crumbles. Thinly slice 1 stalk of celery and add it to the mixture. Mix well.
- Slice each celery stalk into three pieces. Use a sharp knife to shave the back of each piece to help them lay flat. Transfer the celery sticks to a serving dish.
- Stuff each piece with a spoonful of chickpea salad. Garnish with a drizzle of buffalo sauce and more blue cheese crumbles to taste.
- If you do not have buffalo sauce, you can use a smaller amount of hot sauce instead.
- You can make this in advance. Keep the buffalo chickpea salad in the fridge and assemble the celery sticks right before serving.
- Leftovers can last in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-4 days.
This recipe for Buffalo Chickpea Salad Celery Sticks was originally published in August 2018 and updated with new photos and expert tips in January 2020.