With hints of fresh mint and sweet bananas, this bright green pea smoothie is a delicious way to celebrate springtime.
This past weekend, I presented at a spring “reset retreat” at a local holistic medicine clinic. We discussed different ways to renew our health and wellbeing during the spring and enjoyed a relaxing afternoon together. It was a lot of fun!
Being the veggie enthusiast that I am, my part of the presentation focused on spring vegetables, their different health benefits, and how to prepare them in new and exciting ways. As part of the program, I whipped up this gorgeous Green Pea Smoothie with Mint. It was a hit, and I loved it so much that I wanted to share it with my online community too.
I mean, doesn’t a bright green smoothie just scream springtime?!
Nutrition of Green Peas
As you can see in the photos above, the main ingredient in this smoothie is frozen green peas. They contribute a subtle sweetness, creamy texture, and a whole lotta nutrition, including fiber, protein, and vitamin C. In fact, 1/2 cup of frozen green peas (the amount used in one serving of this smoothie) has (1):
- Calories: 60
- Carbs: 10 grams (including 3.5 grams of fiber!)
- Protein: 4 grams (that’s a lot for a veggie)
- Vitamin C: almost 50% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Vitamin A: 11% of the DV
- Iron: 6% of the DV
- Magnesium: 6% of the DV
- Potassium: 5% of the DV
Plus, using frozen peas means you don’t have to add any ice! In addition to peas, this smoothie features some other springtime favorites: spinach and fresh mint. It reminds me of my Healthier Shamrock Shake, but with a more vibrant color and less minty flavor.
To add some more protein and healthy fats to this recipe, on top of the protein from peas, try a scoop of peanut or almond butter. A reader told me that she tried it with almond butter and that it was delicious!
PS: for another fun way to use green peas in a drink, try my Muddled Pea and Mint Kombucha Mocktail.
Are you ready to try?! If you do, let me know how you like it in the comments below!
For other spring pea recipes, check out:
- Spring Pea Orzo Fried Rice
- Sugar Snap Pea Quinoa Salad
- Parmesan Peas and Shallots
- Vegetarian Pea and Bok Choy Tacos
Green Pea Smoothie with Mint
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 banana - preferably frozen
- 1 cup spinach
- 4 mint leaves - more to taste
- 1.5 cups almond milk - can sub milk of choice
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Add more almond milk if needed to promote blending. Enjoy cold!
Eat [drink] your greens 😉