Looking for an easy chicken and winter squash sheet pan recipe? Look no further than this delicious delicata squash and chicken meal! Made with maple mustard chicken thighs, squash, onions, and pears, it’s full of nutrients and flavor. Plus, you can have it on the table in 45 minutes with less than 15 minutes of hands-on time.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
This week was a big one for the Veg World. I finally purchased my first Nordic Ware sheet pan! I’ve heard that they are the BEST sheet pans from so many bloggers and colleagues. Plus, Nordic Ware is a local company, so it’s about time I supported them!
Within 24 hours of the baking sheet arriving on my doorstep, I used it to make two delicious new sheet pan meals for all of you. Getting the delivery is what inspired me to create today’s Sheet Pan Delicata Squash and Chicken. It was the perfect meal to make for the maiden voyage of my Nordic Ware, and I can now say that I fully understand why people love their sheet pans.
This easy-to-make, easy-to-clean-up meal checks all of my favorite boxes as a dietitian. It’s veggie-loaded, super flavorful, balanced (protein, fat, fiber…hello!), and oh so colorful. And of course, it uses seasonal ingredients. We wouldn’t be in the Veg World if it didn’t, now would we?
The chicken is marinated in a maple mustard concoction that also has fresh sage, making it super flavorful and tender. The addition of delicata squash, pears, and red onion yields a sweet and savory flavor profile that’s hard to resist. Make this one for dinner stat!
How to Make Sheet Pan Delicata Squash and Chicken
For the full recipe and ingredients list, scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the post! In the meantime, here’s a preview of the steps.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the maple mustard marinade in a large bowl. Add the chicken thighs and let them soak while you prep the other ingredients.
- Slice the red onion, pears, and delicata squash.
- Transfer the veggies to a lined sheet pan and toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and any desired seasonings.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the marinade, and nestle them in between the veggies on the sheet pan.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are tender. Enjoy!
- If you are new to preparing delicata squash, check out my tutorial on How to Cut Delicata Squash. I prefer to slice it into half-moons for this recipe, but you can also cut it into smaller pieces if desired.
- Here is the Nordic Ware sheet pan that I use if you are interested.
- Feel free to sub another type of winter squash for the delicata and/or apples for the pears. Fall produce galore!
- If desired, get fancy with the seasonings! Add a tablespoon of fresh rosemary and/or ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon to the veggies before roasting. For more ideas, see my Ultimate Vegetable Seasoning Guide.
- You can make the marinade ahead of time and keep the chicken in it for up to 4 hours in a covered bowl in the fridge if desired. This will yield more flavorful chicken, but it’s not a necessary step.
- Sheet Pan Delicata Squash and Chicken leftovers will last for 2 to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave for about a minute or until warmed through.
More Sheet Pan Meals
Love this Sheet Pan Delicata Squash and Chicken? Check out some of my other easy sheet pan meals! Readers love:
- Sheet Pan Maple Mustard Salmon and Brussels
- Baked Feta with Vegetables and Chickpeas
- Sheet Pan Dill Radishes and Salmon
- Sheet Pan Gnocchi and Brussels Sprouts
- Honey Mustard Brussels Sprouts and Chickpeas
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
Sheet Pan Delicata Squash and Chicken
For the chicken
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone liner and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, Dijon, lemon juice, maple syrup, sage, garlic, salt, and pepper. Place the chicken thighs in the marinade, making sure to cover them. Let them sit while you prep the other ingredients, about 10 minutes.
- Prepare the delicata squash, onion, and pear. Transfer them to the lined sheet pan and toss in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, and add any other desired seasonings (see notes). Spread them out in a single layer, leaving a few open areas for the chicken thighs.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the marinade, gently shaking them over the bowl to remove any drippings. Nestle them in between the veggies on the sheet pan. Discard the marinade.
- Roast for 25 to 35 minutes until the chicken thighs are cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F and the veggies are tender. Serve, and enjoy!
- Leave a rating or review by tapping the stars on this recipe card (above) or in the comments section (at the end of the post)!
- Feel free to add more seasonings to the veggies and pears before roasting. I like to add a tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary and up to ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon. Yum!
- You can substitute any type of winter squash for the delicata and/or use apples instead of pears.
- You can marinate the chicken up to four hours in advance (keep it in a covered bowl in the fridge) if desired.
- Leftovers will last for 2 to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave until warmed through.
Happy cooking! – Lizzie