Flavorful and healthy chicken lettuce wraps, topped with Southwest chicken, black beans, tomatoes, corn, and a creamy jalapeno sauce! These gluten free wraps are great for a quick dinner.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
These wraps are the real deal, people. They’re so incredibly flavorful and come together SO quickly. Consider this recipe your new go-to dinner or lunch throughout the summer.
I know it will be for us here in the Streit household. There are just so many things to love about this dish, like the creamy jalapeno sauce I drizzled on top.
Made from Greek yogurt, jalapeno, and fresh herbs, it’s oozing with flavor. It’s so good that it has its very own post!!
How to Make Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
First things first, prep the chicken. I recommend dicing the chicken breasts into cubes, instead of cooking the breasts whole. Toss the diced chicken in chili powder and garlic salt, and cook in a skillet for ~5-7 minutes, flipping halfway.
While the chicken is cooking, dice the tomato, and rinse and drain the black beans and corn (if using canned). You can also use fresh corn, but I’d recommend cooking it if you do.
Next, make the creamy jalapeno sauce by blending together jalapeno (take out those seeds!), plain Greek yogurt, dill, cilantro, salt, garlic, and lime.
When you’re ready to serve, slice off the bottom of a head of romaine and wash each leaf in cold water to remove the dirt. Top your romaine leaves with some chicken, tomato, corn, beans, and the jalapeno sauce!
Can you use another kind of lettuce for these wraps?
Absolutely! You can use:
- butter lettuce
- iceberg lettuce
- Swiss chard
- collard greens
Just make sure you don’t overdo it on toppings, so that you can easily pick up the wrap.
Serving Suggestions and Tips
If you plan to eat these right away, follow the order of operations I discussed above. However, if you want to prep these to keep in the fridge and eat for lunch or dinner at a later time, I recommend storing the fix-ins in separate containers.
For example, put the chicken, beans/corn/tomato, sauce, and washed lettuce in their own containers. Then, when you want to eat, simply load up a few wraps and put the rest of the ingredients back in the fridge.
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
Southwest Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
For the creamy jalapeno sauce:
- 1 jalapeno – stem removed, seeded, and roughly chopped
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt – preferably whole milk
- 1/4 cup fresh dill – stems removed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro – stems removed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lime – juiced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Dice the chicken breasts into cubes and toss in the chili powder and garlic salt. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the diced chicken. Cook for ~5-7 minutes, flipping halfway, or until they are completely cooked. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare the beans, corn, tomato, and romaine leaves.
- Combine the jalapeno, Greek yogurt, dill, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, and salt in blender and blend until smooth.
- Prepare the wraps by loading up the romaine leaves with some chicken, beans, corn, and tomatoes. Drizzle on the jalapeno sauce to taste.
- Store the leftovers in separate containers in the fridge for 3-4 days, and enjoy when desired.
Enjoy this light and delicious meal! – Lizzie