In this delicious meal, refreshing butter lettuce cups are filled with crispy buffalo cauliflower that’s cooked on the grill! The cauliflower bites in this vegetarian recipe are made without flour, making the dish gluten free.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
Whew, what a week it’s been! I feel like I blinked and Memorial Day weekend was staring right at me!
This spring was…interesting…to say the least, and I’m really looking forward to a new season. With longer days, warmer temps, and a whole slew of new veggies to work with, I have a feeling that summer 2020 is going to shape up better than I thought.
I’ve also been experimenting with a new category of recipes for all of you – grilled vegetable dishes. And I’m kicking it off with these Grilled Crispy Buffalo Cauliflower Lettuce Cups. The crunchy, refreshing butter lettuce in this dish perfectly complements the spicy buffalo sauce. Plus, preparing the buffalo cauliflower on the grill adds a smoky flavor and yields a crispy yet tender texture. I’m hooked.
This meal is super easy, fully vegetarian, and downright delicious. I know I’ll be making it again and again this summer, and I think it’s the perfect dish for you to make if you’re grilling this weekend! (PS – be sure to check out the Grilled Stuffed Mushrooms with Caprese Salad for another vegetarian grilling recipe.)
How to Make Grilled Crispy Buffalo Cauliflower
- Break up a head of cauliflower into florets. Toss them in some olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Grill for 15 to 18 minutes, turning occasionally, until tender and slightly charred.
- Pour in the buffalo sauce!
- Toss until coated.
While the cauliflower is on the grill, you can prep the other components of the recipe. Separate the leaves of a head of butter lettuce, put out ranch and/or blue cheese, and slice some red onion. Put it all together, and dinner is served!
Craving more buffalo? Check out the Buffalo Chickpea Salad Celery Sticks while you’re here!
- I highly recommend using nonstick, mesh grill mats to grill the veggies. My mom turned me onto this grilling technique, and it makes all the difference! No more veggies slipping through the cracks (see picture 2). You can also grill cauliflower directly on the grill racks, but make sure you break it up into large florets that won’t slip through.
- Add the buffalo sauce after you grill the cauliflower. If you want to make sure the cauliflower stays warm, heat the sauce in the microwave or on the stove before you pour it over the florets. I like to use Frank’s Buffalo Sauce. If you can’t find that, you can also make buffalo sauce by combining 2 tablespoon melted butter with ¼ cup hot sauce and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder.
- Grilling is the best way to make crispy buffalo cauliflower, but you can use an oven for this recipe. Preheat to 400 degrees F, spread the cauliflower onto a lined baking sheet, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, flipping halfway through, until tender.
- My favorite toppings for these lettuce cups include diced red onion, blue cheese, and ranch. You can also add tomatoes, diced celery, grilled onions, fresh dill, and more!
More Cauliflower Recipes
- Garlic Rosemary Grilled Cauliflower Foil Packets
- Baked Sticky Orange Cauliflower
- Greek Cauliflower Rice
- Weeknight Cauliflower Curry Recipe
- Vegan Cauliflower Steak with Lemon Parsley Tahini
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear how you like it! Please rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments section. And while you’re here, subscribe to the weekly newsletter.
Grilled Crispy Buffalo Cauliflower Lettuce Cups
- 1 head cauliflower - separated into florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt - to taste
- Black pepper - to taste
- ¼ cup buffalo sauce
- 1 head butter lettuce - AKA bibb or Boston lettuce
- ½ cup blue cheese
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- Preheat the grilled to medium-high. Toss the cauliflower florets in the olive oil, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Transfer to a nonstick mesh grill mat. Cover the grill and cook for 15 to 18 minutes, turning occasionally, until tender and crispy. Adjust the heat as needed to get your desired texture.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, separate the leaves of the butter lettuce. Prepare the blue cheese, red onion, and other toppings.
- Remove the cauliflower from the grill, transfer to the mixing bowl, and toss in the buffalo sauce. Fill the lettuce cups with as much buffalo cauliflower as desired. Feel free to cut the florets into smaller pieces if you want. Sprinkle on the toppings, and enjoy!
- If you can't find or don't have buffalo sauce, combine 2 tablespoon butter, ¼ cup regular hot sauce (Frank's Red Hot works great), and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder in a small saucepan. Heat until melted.
- Other topping ideas include diced celery, tomatoes, and ranch.
- If you don't have a grill mat, separate the cauliflower into large florets to prevent them from slipping through the cracks.
- You can also make the cauliflower in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, spread the cauliflower florets onto a lined baking sheet, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until tender. Toss them in the buffalo sauce after roasting.
Have an awesome week! – Lizzie
This post for crispy buffalo cauliflower was originally published in June 2018. It was updated with expert tips and new photos in May 2020.
Leave a Reply