These individual arugula pizzas are made on whole wheat pita and come together in just 15 minutes. They’re loaded with delicious flavor and so easy to make!
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
Is Friday pizza night at your house?! It always was at mine. Will and I haven’t made that a tradition…not yet, at least! I’m ready to bring it back.
One of the best things I learned in my adult life is that making pizza is actually incredibly easy. Even making pizza dough is simple, a lesson I learned at my sister-in-law’s bachelorette party in Italy.
But pizza gets REALLY easy in this recipe. These 15 minute pita pizzas are inspired by the most delicious pizza that was on the menu at a restaurant where I worked before grad school.
No, the restaurant did not use 100% whole wheat pita bread as the crust like I do here. They did, however, use similar toppings. This pizza is how I discovered my love for spicy arugula tossed in olive oil and lemon juice. Mmmmm…
So that’s exactly what’s sitting on top of these. Technically, they’re “white” pizzas with no tomato sauce in sight. Instead of using sauce, I brushed each pita with olive oil and used grated aged parmesan as the base.
The final product is nothing short of delicious. The crispy pita and parmesan provide the perfect base for arugula to really shine on top. Talk about a tasty way to get your leafy greens in!
Some people might shy away from arugula because of its pungent flavor, but it can be a crowd pleaser when prepared in the right way. I suspect these would be enjoyed by your whole family – kids and husbands included. You can even make them for a date to really impress him or her!
Every bite packs a whole lotta flavor, for only 5 ingredients. Yeah, you’re seeing straight. Minimal ingredients and 15 minutes is all you need. So pick up the ingredients on your way home from work, and have yourself a Friday pizza night!!
If you like this recipe, check out my Homemade White Pizza with Broccoli, Potato Leek Pizza on Pita, Asparagus and Mushroom Naan Bread Pizza, and Pineapple Jalapeno Pita Pizza. And be sure to rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments section.
15 Minute Arugula Parmesan Pita Pizzas
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a brush and 1-2 tablespoon olive oil, brush each pita with a light layer of oil. Sprinkle on some sea salt and black pepper as desired. Put pitas directly on oven rack and bake for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove pitas from oven. Top each pita with 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese until they are covered with a light layer. You may choose to add a little more if desired. Put pitas back on oven rack and bake for another 4-5 minutes, or until they are crispy and parmesan is melted.
- While the pitas are baking, prepare the arugula. Whisk together the rest of the olive oil and lemon juice and pour over arugula. Mix until leaves are well coated.
- Remove pitas from oven and top each one with ~1 cup of lemony arugula. Slice pizzas into 4 pieces and garnish with a dash of parmesan and pepper. Enjoy!
- Keep an eye on the pitas in the oven. You may need to cook them for less time to prevent burning.
- Make this a complete meal by adding some lean protein on top, such as chickpeas, chicken or shrimp.
- You can increase or decrease the lemon juice and olive oil in the dressing as desired.
Enjoy your weekend! – Lizzie