Last Updated on
Crispy naan bread pizza is an easy and delicious vegetarian meal that comes together in no time! This version is made with basil pesto, asparagus, mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
The first person who told me about using naan bread for pizza was my friend Francesca. After being cooped up due to a stomach bug last March, I was finally feeling better and decided to meet my friends for a drink. Since I hadn’t eaten much in the past few days, all I wanted for dinner was pizza!
Francesca suggested that I pick up some naan bread on my way home to make my own personal pizza. Needless to say, I was intrigued and did as she said. And I’ve been hooked ever since!
Can naan bread be used for pizza?
Naan bread, which is an Indian bread made with flour, yeast, cooking fat, and yogurt or milk, is actually a perfect base for pizza! Since it’s a flatbread, it resembles crust and acts as a great vehicle for sauce and toppings.
My version of naan bread pizza uses some of the best savory ingredients of spring: basil pesto, mushrooms, and asparagus. I think you’ll like it!
How to Make Naan Bread Pizza
This recipe is one of the easiest things you will ever make. First, saute asparagus and mushrooms. Get some naan bread, add basil pesto and a layer of mozzarella cheese, then top it with the veggies and more cheese.
Bake the pizzas in your oven for a few minutes, and dinner is served. Sounds like the perfect meal for a busy schedule, right? It is.
BUT there are a few key tips that I should mention…so that you can make the very best naan bread pizzas.
- Cook your pizzas directly on a rack that’s positioned in the center of your oven. This will help them get super crispy!
- Don’t overdo it on toppings. Naan bread pizzas taste great with simple, flavorful ingredients. You probably need less cheese than you think.
- Cook the naan bread by itself for a few minutes before adding toppings, and then pop it back in the oven afterwards. This also helps with crispiness!
Recommended Ingredients for Naan Bread Pizza
You may be wondering if naan bread pizza is healthy, and it definitely can be. However, I’d recommend getting a quality naan bread to use as the base.
Some varieties out there are highly processed and contain unnecessary preservatives. So, try to look for a naan bread that just has flour, yeast, water, butter or ghee, milk or yogurt, salt, and maybe just a little bit of oil.
If you live in Minnesota and can get naan bread from Artisan Naan Bakery, I HIGHLY recommend it. Oh my gosh…delicious!
I also used ROI Pesto for this recipe, and it was amazing. I had never had it before but was blown away by the taste. If you’re looking for a good pesto, I’d recommend it, but you can also use homemade pesto, liked my Ramp Pesto with Toasted Cashews.
So there you have it – crispy, vegetarian naan bread pizzas that are LOADED with veggies! To make a complete meal with this recipe, serve the pizzas with a side salad, like Chopped Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing or Butter Lettuce Strawberry Salad.
If you make this recipe, be sure to rate and review it in the comments below, and don’t forget to tag @its_a_vegworld_afterall on Instagram! Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
Asparagus and Mushroom Naan Bread Pizza
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced asparagus and mushrooms and cook for ~5 minutes, or until slightly tender. Remove from heat.
- Place each piece of naan bread directly on a rack in the center of the oven. Cook for 2 minutes before removing with an oven mitt. Pull the rack out and use your oven mitt to slide each pizza onto a plate or cutting board.
- Use a butter knife or silicone brush to spread a thin layer of basil pesto on each piece of naan. Then sprinkle on a layer of mozzarella cheese. Add about 1/3 of the cooked veggies to each pizza, then sprinkle on the rest of the cheese.
- Put the pizzas back into the oven, placing them directly on the center rack again, and bake for 4-5 minutes or until the edges get crispy and the cheese is melted. Enjoy warm!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!
Happy almost weekend!