This unique and delicious Potato Leek Pizza recipe is a family-friendly meal that everyone will love! Using whole wheat pita bread as the base speeds up the process, so that you can indulge in your individual pizza sooner than later.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
I am overly excited about this Potato Leek Pizza, you guys!!! It’s one of my favorites from this winter’s recipe testing. But I know what you may be thinking…potatoes on pizza? Really?
Hear me out. This amazing combo was inspired by the Boise pizza at Pizzeria Lola here in Minneapolis. Will and I first discovered it after a long day of yard work this summer, when a crispy pizza with potatoes and caramelized onions proved to be exactly what our ravenous selves needed.
I’ve been thinking about replicating it ever since, and it finally happened. This version uses leeks instead of caramelized onions, and a simple garlic olive oil base in place of Lola’s cream sauce.
It’s delicious, interesting, and so fun! PS – if you have a lot of leeks on hand, you may want to check out the Chicken and Leek Pasta Bake while you’re here!
How to Make Potato Leek Pizza
First, prep the toppings. Use a mandoline to slice a Yukon gold potato into paper thin slices. Then, use a knife to slice the green bottom part of a leek in half and then into half moons. Put the leeks in a bowl with cold water to wash them off.
You also need to cook the potato slices before making the pizzas. The easiest way to do this is to bring a small saucepan of water to a boil, add the slices, and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender. Make sure they’re not falling apart.
While the potatoes are cooking, sautee the leeks in a little bit of olive oil. You can also shred the gruyere cheese so that it’s ready for topping.
- Brush each whole wheat pizza with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pop in the oven for a few minutes.
- Top with some chopped rosemary and a sprinkle of gruyere cheese
- Add a layer of potato slices, leeks, more shredded gruyere cheese, and another sprinkle of rosemary.
Pop those babies in the oven and cook until the cheese is melted. Yummmm. You can whip up a side salad while they’re baking, or not, since they’re loaded with veggies anyways.
- To slice the potatoes, you can also use a very sharp knife. But a mandoline works best to get them to be as thin as possible.
- I used Yukon gold potatoes, but you can use any type of potato so long as they’re sliced thin.
- If you make the toppings in advance, these pizzas come together in a flash. You can prep the thin, cooked potato slices, sautéed leeks, and shredded cheese up to 3 days in advance.
- Don’t skip the step of brushing the pitas with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. It adds a lot of flavor.
- You can also use regular pizza crust or naan bread as the base for Potato Leek Pizza.
Don’t you just want to dive right in?! As you can see below, you can cut each pita into a few slices. But hey, if you want to go all in and forgo the slices, do it!
More Veggie Pizza Recipes
If you like this Potato Leek Pizza, you’re in luck! Check out these other recipes:
- Arugula Parmesan Pita Pizzas
- Asparagus and Mushroom Naan Bread Pizza
- Pineapple and Jalapeno Pita Pizza
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
Potato Leek Pizza on Pita
- 1 Yukon gold potato – thinly sliced with a mandoline, should be paper thin
- 1 leek – light green and white part only, sliced into half moons and cleaned in a bowl of water
- 4 whole wheat pitas
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic – minced or pressed
- Sea salt – to taste
- Ground black pepper – to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary – finely chopped, more to taste
- 2 cups gruyere cheese – freshly shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bring a small saucepan with salted water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add the thinly sliced potatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes until they are tender but not falling apart. Drain the water and set the potato slices aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, sautee the leeks in a little bit of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and garlic. Brush each pita with the garlic oil. Add salt and pepper to tase. Transfer the pitas to a couple of baking sheets and pop in the oven for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven. Top each pita with a sprinkle of rosemary, a thin layer of shredded cheese, a layer of cooked potato slices, a layer of leeks, and another layer of cheese. Add more rosemary to taste. Put the pizzas back in the oven for 7-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Make the cooked potatoes and leeks up to 3 days in advance. Store in airtight containers in the fridge.
- You can sub regular pizza crust or naan bread as the base for these pizzas.
- These are best enjoyed right away, but leftovers can be reheated in the oven at 350 degrees F for 5-7 minutes.
- You can also use a sharp knife to slice the potatoes if you don’t have a mandoline.
Want to eat more seasonal veggies? Get your meal plan today!