Caprese orzo salad is a fun rendition of traditional caprese salad, using cherry tomatoes and mozzarella pearls. It’s still full of the same great flavors from basil and balsamic vinegar but can be made ahead of time and serves a crowd. Enjoy this summer pasta salad!
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
I’m popping in with one last recipe to celebrate tomato season! This caprese orzo salad is really tasty and comes together really quickly. It’s the perfect dish to make if you have a pint of cherry tomatoes on hand.
You can make it for a back-to-school or work lunch to enjoy throughout the week. It’s also great for crowds at summer potlucks and BBQs. Really, the opportunities are endless for this simple but delicious pasta salad.
The addition of orzo gives some bulk and staying power to the classic caprese ingredients. You could even add a can of white beans or chickpeas for some additional protein and fiber. I’d love to hear how you enjoy this recipe, so be sure to leave a comment at the end of the post to let me know!
How to Make Caprese Orzo Salad
As with most of the recipes on here, this one is so easy! Here’s a preview of the steps, but scroll down to the recipe card for the full details.
- Cook the orzo according to package instructions. Drain and toss in a little olive oil to prevent it from sticking.
- In the meantime, slice the grape or cherry tomatoes, cut the basil, and prepare the dressing.
- Put it all together, mix it all up, and enjoy!
- You can make caprese orzo salad several hours in advance or even up to a couple days ahead of time. It actually tastes best when slightly chilled, so you’ll want to make it with enough time to pop it in the fridge for at least a half hour. Just remember to give it a good stir before serving.
- Serve as a vegetarian main or side dish. It’s great for potlucks and BBQs.
- The best way to cut basil for this recipe is in a chiffonade. Check out my tutorial on How to Cut Basil Chiffonade for more information.
- Mozzarella pearls are also labeled as ciliegine or “little ones.” They are available at most stores, but you can sub slightly bigger mozzarella balls if you can’t find them.
More Tomato Recipes
Love this caprese orzo salad? Check out the Fresh Peach Caprese Salad, Warm Farro Salad with Roasted Tomatoes, and Grilled Panzanella Salad for similar dishes. For more pasta salads, see the Spinach Artichoke Pasta Salad and the Asparagus Pasta Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing.
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
Caprese Orzo Salad
- 8 ounces orzo - dried, about half a package
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes - halved
- 6 ounces mozzarella pearls - drained
- 1/2 cup basil chiffonade
- Cook the orzo according to package instructions. Drain, then toss in a little olive oil to prevent it from sticking.
- While the orzo is cooking, slice the tomatoes and basil. Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Combine the orzo, tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella pearls in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the dressing on top, and mix well.
- Serve the dish right away or put it in the fridge for at least a half hour to chill.
- Leave a rating or review by tapping the stars on this recipe card (above) or in the comments section (at the end of the post)!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge. You can prep it several hours ahead of time, since it tastes best chilled anyways. Give it a good stir before serving.
- Leftovers will last for up to 5 days.
Have a great weekend! – Lizzie