These Extra Crispy Baked Onion Rings are the ultimate game day snack. No frying necessary!
For those of you who have been a part of the Veg World for a while, you can probably guess the conundrum I am about to face this weekend. You see, for the first time in a WHILE, the Philadelphia Eagles are actually good. And the Minnesota Vikings are good too. In fact, both teams are so good that they will be playing in the NFC Championship game on Sunday…against each other. Oh, and the winner of that game will be going to the SUPER BOWL…which just so happens to be in MINNEAPOLIS this year.
See the issue? I’m a Philly girl, born and raised (that’s where I started the Veg World blog). When I’m not cheering for the birds in green, I’m rooting for the other men in green (the Green Bay Packers), as a supportive wife to a lifelong Packers fan. But since I live in Minneapolis, obviously I think it would be cool if the home team happens to become the first team EVER to play a Super Bowl in their stadium (I mean, I sort of think this…not really). On the other hand, how cool would it be to see my town flooded with Eagles fans in two weeks?! Sigh…
Who knew a playoff football game could bring up so many emotions? 😉 Good thing I’ll be whipping up some of my favorite easy vegetable recipes to eat while I watch the game. Veggies always make everything better.
These Extra Crispy Baked Onion Rings are the peerrrrfectttt snack to munch on while you watch football this weekend. I love showcasing vegetables in interesting ways, and this was definitely a fun way to prepare onions!
Probably the best part about these baked onion rings is that they take less than 30 minutes to make. Oh, and they’re EXTRA crispy (as you can tell by the name). The key to crisping up these bad boys is spraying them with olive oil cooking spray before you pop ’em in the oven. You will get the most deliciously crisp rings, but without having to use a deep fryer.
Serve these rings with your favorite condiment: BBQ sauce, ketchup, mayo, whatever you like. And since you’ll already be cooking, consider whipping up a homemade sauce, like my Garlic Avocado Spread. However you eat ’em, I think you’ll love ’em. Now let’s watch some football!
Have you made this recipe? Let me know how it turned out for you in the comments!
Extra Crispy Baked Onion Rings
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour - or any flour (can be made gluten-free if desired)
- 3 egg whites - you can save the yolks for another time
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Extra virgin olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Prepare the onion by slicing off both ends and making ~1/4" slices. Separate into single rings.
- Prepare three small bowls: one with the whole wheat flour, one with the egg whites, and one with the bread crumbs and seasonings.
- Dunk each ring into the flour mixture, then into the egg whites, and then into the bread crumbs, until evenly coated. Place rings on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Spray rings with extra virgin olive oil spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping each ring with tongs half way through.
*You can find extra virgin olive oil spray at most grocery stores, such as Trader Joe's.
*These can be made gluten-free with gluten-free breadcrumbs and flour if desired.
*You can double or triple the recipe to serve a larger crowd.
Have a great weekend everyone!